• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EB D44 measurements

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
In my search for this info I have only come up with a measurement for the distance between wedges <> which was 36 inches. What I would like to do is confirm this measurement and also get a measurement from the center line of the top or bottom ball joints. I need this info to shorten the 78/79 housing I have. thanks bob

If some one is able to measure there D44 axle from either the ball joint center lins and or the <> center lines could you please take pictures of this. I would like to add the pictures to the write I plan on doing for this narrowing project.

Last edited:

Phoenix0783

Here you go.
44.jpg

OP
OP
Bronco73

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
thanks again. i hope to be narrowing the axle with in the week. if the snow holds off I will be pulling the axles today.

Phoenix0783

Someone may have to correct me but I think the driver side tube is the same on the eb and trucks/full size broncos, so just the passenger tube needs to be shortened.

Phoenix0783

Also, I measured from the end of the ball joint, so you will have to measure from the same because the ball joint is at an angle. It would probably be easier to figure out the difference and subtract that from 46.

mr.n

Someone may have to correct me but I think the driver side tube is the same on the eb and trucks/full size broncos, so just the passenger tube needs to be shortened.
Nope.

it's off 0.5" ;D Not enough to shorten the axle.

OP
OP
Bronco73

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
Nope.

it's off 0.5" ;D Not enough to shorten the axle.

mr.n should i leave the pass. .5 wider to make the axle even? you also seem to have a bit of experience with these axles. Do you know the exact distance from the ball joint center lines?

mr.n

mr.n should i leave the pass. .5 wider to make the axle even? you also seem to have a bit of experience with these axles. Do you know the exact distance from the ball joint center lines?
Yes, leave the 1/2 ton axle short side alone. Much easier to find axle shafts for, and they have the larger u-joint.

Not sure on your last question. Wasn't that answer given above?
(Yes, the upper and lower ball joints have different measurements... but with the above it should help)

If your not sure how much to shorten the long side...
EB short side length (Dana 44): 27.94"
1/2 ton Ford 73-79 length: 33.91"

OP
OP
Bronco73

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
mr.n I think you meant to say eb long side?

Well I think I answered my own question. I can't leave the pass. side a 1/2 longer or i would need a custom axle shaft unless there is enough of the axle spline still engaged in the carrier? I have read shortening the housing by 5 inches and by 6 inches. Doing the math based on the axle shaft lengths given it should be shortened by 5.97. So I'm still thinking that the pass. side could be left a little wider to match the 1/2 difference of the drivers side. What I really need is the center distance between the wedges(<>) on the axle. This would be the best method for obtaining a truely equally centered axle.

The ball joint center distance is close but i will not have ball joints in the axle when I reset the camber/caster which will also be the distance between the ball joints. Maybe i am looking at this to hard. The axle does bottom out in the cast wedge so once its cut to length that's it.

I will hope some one can measure the distance between the wdges and crunch the numbers to get the best fit.

OP
OP
Bronco73

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
i was looking at the warn axle chart and it shows the driver side inner axle as being the same length between the 78/79 D44 axle and the EB 71-77 axle. However, the same warn site shows an EB driver side axle as being shorter for the years 72-77. This makes no sense at all.

WARN site info:
1978-1979 BRONCO Front Dana 44 Reverse (Length 18.91 in.; 30 Spline; Left (Driver) Side;) 39143 KB2;KB3
1978-1979 BRONCO Front Dana 44 Reverse (Length 33.91 in.; 30 Spline; Right (Passenger) Side;) 39144 KB2;KB3
1972-1977 BRONCO Front Dana 44 (Length 18.31 in.; 30 Spline; Left (Driver) Side;) 38809
1972-1977 BRONCO Front Dana 44 (Length 27.94 in.; 30 Spline; Right (Passenger) Side;) 38810 KB2;KB3
1971-1977 BRONCO Front Dana 44 (Length 18.91 in.; 30 Spline; Left (Driver) Side;) 39143 KB2;KB3
1971-1977 BRONCO Front Dana 44 (Length 33.91 in.; 30 Spline; Right (Passenger) Side;) 39144 KB2;KB3

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
The full width short side axles are slightly longer around 0.6" longer than a EB short side, Many people have replaced the short EB axle with a full size one by cutting off about 3/8" of the splines. Also a EB length short inner will work in the full width housings.
Since your narrowing a full width don't worry about the short side, just get the long side to match a common axle length (in your case the EB long side axle) So your 5.97" is what you want to to shorten the passenger side. Your overall front axle width will end up about a 1/2" wider, if you try to narrow the passenger side more to account for this a EB passenger inner axle will be too long to fit.
The distance between the wedges isn't that important since the axle is centered by the track bar not the radius arms.

OP
OP
Bronco73

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
Thanks to everyone that has replied. I measured the axle housing yesterday and it will end up 1/2 wider. The center lines distance between the <> will be 36.5 and the EB distance is 36 inches. I was looking to far into this and was making harder than it needed to be. I just wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing. I will shorten the long side of axle by 6 inches and be done with it. I will take pictures of the process which if all goes well I should be able to start on it this weekend some time. We move on the 20th so I am running out of time.