• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ball joint dia. measurements

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
First i should ask if the ball joints are the same between the EB and the full size broncos. If so then I need to know the OD of the upper and lower ball joints so I can make a dowel pin that will fit into the ball joint openings so I can check the camber/caster setting before welding the C back on.

I plan on making one long dowel or plug that is turned down on each end to fit the upper ball joint and the other end to fit the lower ball joint openings. thanks bob

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Same as '78/9
Different on '80-'96

Here is an idea. (like you nood more thought put into this)
Machine up tapered cones. Have one fixed on a rod, the other so it can slide down the rod. Probably thread together. If you just make them cone shaped instead of application specific then you could use the fixture on many different axles instead of just a Bronco D44.

OP
OP
Bronco73

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
Well it's something to think about but i will never narrow anything other than what I have which is two 78/79 D44 axles.

I just got done searching autozone and the as you stated the ball joints are the same. As soon as I remove the axle and break it down I will measure the BJ OD. I will take plenty pics of this axle narrowing. My first one will take a few hours but I bet I can get this done in less than two hours once I get one done and work out all the little details.

I have also been studying up on the proper welding needed for cast iron to steel. My plan is to tack weld it and take it to some one that knows how to weld this.