• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Check My Firing order--

calger

Loc.
WESTERN ILLINOIS
The pic i have drawn is what i have now, on my running truck. Does it mean it is HO.

OK i posted a thread on how to find my Firing order. Broncobowser told me to find #1 and that a dizzy goes counterclockwise. And that number 1 was up front on left and 4 is at passenger feet and so on.
So this is what i came up with, Please check.

PO built motor i lost build sheet. Getting ready to start getting EFI parts.

302 don't know what it came out of or if it is stock block. Thanks Guys

Sorry my art skills are not up to par.;D

Attachments

• My Firing order.jpg
    My Firing order.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

baglock

That looks correct for the standard 302. A 302 H/O would fire 15426378.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Looks like the right firing order, but your #1 on the distributor is not in the stock position. With the distributor installed in the "correct" postion, #1 would wind up being where your #6 is.

Here's a different pic.

Attachments

• firingorder.gif
    firingorder.gif
    11.1 KB · Views: 55

Broncobowsher

Total hack
137..... is the HO/351 firing order
154..... is the standard 289/302 firing order.

The higher load engines (HO, 351, big block, C, marine) changed the firing order (grind of the cam) to eliminate 2 consective firing pulses on the frontmost rod jurnel. For normal engines is was left as is.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Looks like the right firing order, but your #1 on the distributor is not in the stock position. With the distributor installed in the "correct" postion, #1 would wind up being where your #6 is.

Here's a different pic.

I think this post is the correct one for your 302. Note the 302 firing order and locations on the dist cap.

OP
OP
calger

calger

Loc.
WESTERN ILLINOIS
I am lost!!!
even with the 1 over were the 6 is, counterclockwise i still come up with 302HO???
I have a Mallory Unilite does that mean any thing. This weekend i am switch over to all MSD, box, coil, dizzy, and don't want to drop the wrong kind of gear in. And then when i go to EFI i don't want to drop the wrong gear in then!!!
I am sure i am wrong and you guys are right, but can you tell me how i am thinking wrong.

OP
OP
calger

calger

Loc.
WESTERN ILLINOIS
I am lost!!!
even with the 1 over were the 6 is, counterclockwise i still come up with 302HO???
I have a Mallory Unilite does that mean any thing. This weekend i am switch over to all MSD, box, coil, dizzy, and don't want to drop the wrong kind of gear in. And then when i go to EFI i don't want to drop the wrong gear in then!!!
I am sure i am wrong and you guys are right, but can you tell me how i am thinking wrong.

OK you mean switch, and not turn. well that would not be any firing order.
then it would go 15432687 right???

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 counter-clockwise from 1 on cap.

1 thru 4 are on the passenger side and 1 is nearest to the radiator.

OP
OP
calger

calger

Loc.
WESTERN ILLINOIS
I hope i am not confusing any one. But i am not asking what is the right firing order is.
The pic i draw ed and posted is what mine is now, not what a 302 should be?

OP
OP
calger

calger

Loc.
WESTERN ILLINOIS
But it is running BAX??? Help me get it, so i can go bang my head off the wall for being slow on catching on!!!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The picture you posted in in post #1, that is the correct firing order for a 351 or 5.0 HO cam.
It is not correct for an original 302 cam.

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
Are you looking at my pic i posted?

I misunderstood you at first. Before you edited the post it sounded like you were looking for the firing order for a stock engine. Your distributor is really twisted to get the #1 point where it is in the drawing. The #1 is near the rear of the distributor on the ford caps I have seen like in the second pic posted.

I am x2 on what Bowsher is saying.

OP
OP
calger

calger

Loc.
WESTERN ILLINOIS
WOW thanks for all the help. I did not mean to mess any of you up. That's what i thought. i just never i have done this before and wanted to here i got it right from some one else.

Broncobowsher as always thanks for the help.

And BAX it was good to meat you over the phone. I really appreciate the help. And thanks for the heads up on the dizzy gear.

Thanks Guys. I would just be lost in the sauce with out you all.:cool:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, your drawing is showing a firing order of 13726548. So you are currently running the late model and H.O. firing order.

You don't happen to know whether or not the cam is a roller cam or flat-tappet, do you? Depending on what the PO did, it could probably be either. Which would mess with your choice of distributor gears, like you were talking about.
I don't know if you can tell for sure by looking down inside to see what the gear looks like or not. Maybe one of the others knows that.

Good luck with all the new stuff.

Paul