• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to better brakes-F250 MC,dana 60s

Yellow76

Looking for a little help. I have been reading threads here about brakes and boosters etc. This is what I have. F250 MC, powerboost, hard lines to prop valve, hardlines to stock rubber lines at the brakes that were rebuilt when I put the 60s in about 6 years ago. Running a stroked 385W, Dana 20, 4.88, 39.5 TSLs. I seemed to have to push the pedal almost to the floor and it still doesn't seem to hold on extreme angles in any terrain. I know the rear drums are big and the front calipers are big also. Yes I have read about the hydroboost but I would like to fix what I have now, at least try. I had put the F250 MC in because I had read some threads a long time ago and I have seen others hate it and others like it. Thanks for any help.

MADHATTER

When you say powerboost you mean a power booster?

I would say that your powerbooster is failing and that's where your problem is. Also, and this may sound dumb, but check all the likes and see if you have a leak or the rubber ones are bulged and need replacement.

OP
OP
Y

Yellow76

Sorry, yes power booster. I will check the rubber lines tomorrow if I get a chance. I have no leaks but I understand they can swell so I ll get someone to help me out. Thanks

Benzo

Loc.
SF Bay Area
Also, see if the booster will hold a vacuum. If the diaphragm is shot inside, then the vacuum from the engine won't help.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
My guess is you have the camper special MC which is 1 1/16 bore IIRC. You need at least 1 1/8 bore for dual piston Dana 60 brakes however I would go bigger.

I would recommend looking for a MC in the 1.125-1.250 range to even approach proper braking levels.