• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear Drive Shaft Question

scotts77

Loc.
Marietta, GA
I've replaced the CV and U joints on the rear shaft, but there is still some slop in the part that extends out. If you push up on it from under the truck you can feel some play in it. Is the slip yoke going bad or something else ?

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
It means that it needs to be cut off and a new one welded on OR a new driveshaft...its worn out. Sorry.

I had several that I took in about extending/shortening for th enew drivetrain and the guy told me that the one that I had as you described it--was worn out/shot and that it would need a new spline/slipjoint (whatever their technical name is). The cost wasnt horrible...but neither is a new driveshaft, depending on what your needs are for travel and angle of operation.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I have had just the female part wear out before.
I tried a spare that I had around and it was tight.
Might be worth a try.
Also I had one that seemed to be loose when extended but when it was in the middle of its slip it was tight.
Is your DL properly sized for the lift?
Also I've driven around on a slightly loose slip yoke for the last year and it hasn't got any worse, I just grease it often.

bludorbronc

Every time I go to a driveshaft shop they want to sell me a plastic coated slip joint assembly, to me it is designed to wear out ,won't sell me an all steel one. If your shaft isn't vibrating spend money else where, if it is now you have a spare since both ends are rebuilt, so buy a shaft.

SeaninSt.Cloud

I had the same problem. Took apart the rear portion, near the yoke=the part that extends-reversed the rubber seal, filed away the rusted threads on the "retaining nut" (or whatever it is called) so that it would tighten more and I could compress the seal enough to keep the grease in, and pumped it up with grease. I is much more stiff now. I plan to take it out and beat the crap out of it in 3 weeks.