• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Yes another EB electrical problem !!!!

Tuff68

Loc.
Hermitage, TN
Went from running fine one day to getting nothing the next. Turn the key and only get a klick at the solenoid. Nothing works, no wipers, lights, fan motor, nothing. This is what I have done so far.

Replaced the solenoid TWICE: still have the same klick as with old one
Replaced cables : starter, + & - batt, & cable from block to batt
Replaced starter : no change
I have 12v coming from the batt
I have 12v @ the solenoid
I have 12v coming form the small plug that goes on the "S" term on the solen.
I have .01 coming the large side term that goes to the starter.
If I turn the key to start and turn on anything ( light, wiper ext ) I still get the klicking at the solenoid.
I can take a jumper wire from the hot side of the batt to the large starter post on the solenoid and the starter will hit, but if I jump from the hot side to the small "S" term on top of the solenoid the starter will not hit.
Could it be in the key switch and if so what do I check and look for when I take it out.
Hope someone can help,
Thanks

jim02

Loc.
Denver area
sounds like a short/crossed wire. is this a new harness or the orginal?
i would start with the ignition switch at this point due to this comment then look down the harness for burnt or crossed wire.
"If I turn the key to start and turn on anything ( light, wiper ext ) I still get the klicking at the solenoid."

OP
OP
T

Tuff68

Loc.
Hermitage, TN
Yes this is the stock wiring harness. I am going to pick up a new switch tomorrow and try to change it out.
Thanks for the information.

DZap

Loc.
Houston, TX
hot wire it!!

I just learned how to do this today!!:cool: (dash is out of my truck)
If you connect the yellow and red wires from the back of the ignition switch(this is in a 67and the wires are on the right side of the switch[pass. side] if you are looking at it from above), it should turn the starter over. If it doesn't, I'd think the ignition switch is bad.
There is another wire in the back of mine that feeds current to an electric fuel pump, too. All three have to connect to start it and feed fuel, then just keep fuel pos. and ground connected to run(EFI setup).

LOOK OUT, I MIGHT SNATCH YOUR BRONCOS, GUYS!!!! ;D ;D

OP
OP
T

Tuff68

Loc.
Hermitage, TN
What is the best way to remove the ignition switch. It's cold and snowing hear and I will have to get back to the repair tomorrow.
Thanks

byson1

Loc.
Nashville
David, the ignition switch may be bad but based on what you've said there is another problem as far as starting it goes. If you take power from the + side of the starter sol. and jump it to the S terminal then it should turn over (not necessarily run) as long as the starter cable, solenoid, and starter are all in working condition and the connections are good. This totally bypasses the ignition switch and takes it out the the equation. Run a ground wire from the body of the solenoid to the engine block and see if that helps. Even with a good gound to the fender it may not be enough (as the fender may not have a good ground itself). I would work on getting that fixed before taking out the ignition switch. Concerning the ignition switch. Please check all the fuses first. In the course of things it's easy to blow them. Call me if you need some help. I'm in the process of setting up the gears in my front axle but it's too cold right now. Chad

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p You mite look at the battery it could be shorted inside if it is it will read 12 volts under no load. But wont turn a starter or run the lights this can happen like now. I just had one do that good luck.:D :D :D Bill %) :cool: ;D

70_Steve

Old Guy
Run a ground wire from the body of the solenoid to the engine block and see if that helps. Even with a good gound to the fender it may not be enough (as the fender may not have a good ground itself).
Exactly what I was thinking.

By jumping the BAT side of the solenoid to the STArter side, and having the starter turn over, you've proven that you can get power to the starter (good connections at the starter, and a good ground back to the battery). But the coil inside the solenoid (big, heavy duty relay), being powered from the S terminal, has to be grounded to be able to pull in the coil properly. If you don't have a good ground from the body back to the battery, the coil may not be able to energize enough to pull in the contacts.

OP
OP
T

Tuff68

Loc.
Hermitage, TN
Problem fixed

Thanks to all for the information.
I grounded the solenoid, and ran a new ground from the block to the frame. Every things seem to be in good working order now.
Don't know if I could do without the help from this site.
Thanks again