• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

MSD GUYS- NEED Pic's and info on install of dizzy, 6AL, Coil

calger

Loc.
WESTERN ILLINOIS
I am installing my MSD 8479 Distributor, 6AL BOX, and Coil tomorrow. I have never done this and have a few questions.

Could one of you with this set up, or one close post some pic's of how and were you mounted every thing.

First- The distributor. Does the the Vacuum advance point toward the carb, or to the front or were? Were should the wire's point at?

Second- Were would be a good place to mount the 6AL BOX.

Third- were can i put the coil? How far from the Dizzy can it be?

Any help or pic's would be great. Thanks

Last edited:

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
I don't have the 6AL, rather the 6A nor a vacume advance distributor....

The box is mounted on the drivers side wheel well and the coil is pretty much in the stock location. I've been told that it's better to mount the control box in the cab and move the coil to the wheel well both for heat reasons. It's been this way for several years with no issues.

Gap spark plugs according to msd instructions

Hope this helps

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Good morning
I have the same setup as you, so maybee I can help.

The Vacuum advance faces foward, I mounted my coil on the front of the left head.

As far as the 6AL I mounted mine in the cab, to keep it dry and cool, but it can be mounted just about anywhere.

It is a pretty simple job, just follow the MSD directions. The only issue i ran into was my tachometer didn't work the way it was wired before the MSD, but since the MSD box has a tach hookup, it isn't a problem. If your tach doesn't work, just run the tach wite to the 6AL and you will be all set

Pics

Attachments

• newmotor2.JPG
    newmotor2.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 30
  • newmotor3.JPG
    newmotor3.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 24
  • MSD6AL.JPG
    MSD6AL.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
calger

calger

Loc.
WESTERN ILLINOIS
Hey Thanks Donsbolt for the info and pic's.

Did the weiring for the 6AL run that far from the inside to the motor, or did you have to wire in extensions? And where exactly did you put it?
Do you think it hurts to have the coil wire run a long way?
I think i am going to mount my box inside like yours.

Thanks man

Last edited:

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
I have it mounted where, or behind where the hose to the heater was. Mine kept falling off so I jusr removed it.

The wire from the distributor to the msd made it no problem.