• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I Need transmission Help Quick!

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Well, I'm doomed to not make the Stampede. My freshly rebuilt 3 speed manual, which has worked flawlessly for about 100 miles, now will not shift in Reverse, or First. I checked the linkage and the problem is either the shift rail and or internal. the rail almost acts like it's frozen. Anybody have ideas to save me from wrestling the transmission and dana 20 out by myself without a tranny jack?

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
Crawl underneath, disconnect the linkage, and push the 2-3 shift lever to the nuetral position, then try moving the R-1 lever. My guess is that your column shift linkage has too much slop and it got things jammed. You may have to jiggle both levers around some before things break loose.
It may not work, but if it doesn't you haven't lost much.
Tom

oh yeah, you could also try shifting it with the d20 in nuetral so it doesn't have any loading on the back end either.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
When I had my 3 speed years ago I would sometimes have the same issue. As mentioned, the 2-3 has to be truely lined up in nuetral for the R-1 linkage to move.

OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I pulled everything out the first/reverse syncro is frozen solid. I hope I can get it torn apart tommorow and hopefully the syncro isn't shredded. I'm leaving town in less than 72 hours.... I suppose it's time to get off my arse and get the 4R70W going. We'll see!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Don't feel bad. Bronco is sitting in the back yard. Front axle wasted with a bad U-joint I blew back in December. The garage should have a hole in it tomorrow. The Ranger is back together and started for the first time tonight since November/December. It was suppose to be out of the garage before New Years. Little problems like a bound torque converter that blew the thrust out of the crank, discovering the existance of a cast roller cam that galled the roller distributer drive gear, the spare cam that was going to go in that was found to hav a couple bad lobes that looked like the lifter were skipping over the lobes instead of rolling, just the normal stuff.

That and $2000 worth of trees being planted on Monday and the drip line must be up and running (bought parts today).

Simply put, if there are any surprises during the axle swap the Bronco will not be at the Stampede. I will, don't know what I will drive, but I will be there. They have already set me to be a trip leader, I agreed to lead a lunch run up to Crown King (it's not really a trail, UPS goes the same road every day). But I can't say if I will have a chance to play this year.

Too many project taking too long, and some have deadlines based on the needs of others.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It's a Bronco, we will understand. You will get a little crap for it, but not much. Just tell them the Bronco broke at the last minute and we will all understand.

As for my back up vehicle, that is TBD. Frontier, Xterra, Escalade, Powerstroke, Cummins, or something else. I can't say what it would be.

OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
O.K. the syncros work fine, it seems the pill between the shift rails inside the transmission was 'stuck'. I fished all the pills out and have it almost back together.

I'm wondering if I can just run without the pill in between the shift rail. I know it's supposed to keep you from engaging more than one gear at a time. BUT, can I just 'grind it til I find it' and get away with it till I get my 4R70W parts together? Thanks again.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
O.K. the syncros work fine, it seems the pill between the shift rails inside the transmission was 'stuck'. I fished all the pills out and have it almost back together.

I'm wondering if I can just run without the pill in between the shift rail. I know it's supposed to keep you from engaging more than one gear at a time. BUT, can I just 'grind it til I find it' and get away with it till I get my 4R70W parts together? Thanks again.

Glad to hear you're making good progress, Casey! I think you're going to make it after all....

Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
It's a Bronco, we will understand. You will get a little crap for it, but not much. Just tell them the Bronco broke at the last minute and we will all understand.

As for my back up vehicle, that is TBD. Frontier, Xterra, Escalade, Powerstroke, Cummins, or something else. I can't say what it would be.

Hope you make it out in your Bronco, Tim. We need to see you in it instead of all these late-model rigs you like to tease us with!

OK, I've gotta run over to Ecology to pick up a spare t-stat housing or two myself to see if I can fix the coolant leak I have at my t-stat. Then hopefully my replacement radiator arrives early this week so I can swap it in time.

And if I have a spare minute on Thursday night, I might swap a little extra bling in on my truck for Friday too.

Todd Z.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Glad to see I'm not the only one doing last minute stuff. Finally got the OX locker in, and went out today to adjust the actuator, and see if it's really locking. I just can't tell when I'm by myself. Maybe I can get some help Friday morning, before the runs start. But at least it runs, and I'll finally make it to my first Stampede.

70_Steve

Old Guy
needabronco - I just remembered I've got a 3-speed tranny, in really good shape, just sitting in the garage. I can bring it to the Stampede if you need it.

OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Steve, if you don't mind bringing it for me just in case. I'll bring a jack and jack stands. Hopefully it doesn't come to that... But I appreciate it.

We'll be camped in a 28' 5th wheel with a white GMC truck. My Bronco is red(ish) whith NM plates.

Casey

It's going in tonight after dinner, looks like it'll be a long night.... again!

70_Steve

Old Guy
No problem, Casey. What day are you planning on showing up? I'm going up Thursday afternoon, after work, to register. I only live about 15 miles from the campground. I can bring it up Thursday if you like, or Friday morning.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
needabronco - I just remembered I've got a 3-speed tranny, in really good shape, just sitting in the garage. I can bring it to the Stampede if you need it.

NEW BRONCO GAME!!!;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

How fast can a team swap a Bronco 3 speed? Make it a timed event. Let people gather as a team and see how well prepared there trail tool kit is.;)

Part of the campground is a paved parking lot, should make things a lot easier.

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Glad to see I'm not the only one doing last minute stuff.
It's a prerequisite that if you own a Bronco you either have to be a procrastinator or have a bad case of Murphy's Law.

Mine is supposed to be back tonight from getting a new family cage and bedliner. But I basically haven't driven it for 1 1/2 years, so there's a lot to do to make sure it's ready. Then there's the tailgate, bumpers, spare tire carrier, doors, CB, lights, etc. that still need to be installed. %)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As of last night I have another one. Battery needs a charge. I only let it sit for 2 months.

OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
AND IT GETS EVEN BETTER!!! Now I can't seem to shift the transfer case into 4Hi! All I can get is 2hi, neutral, and 4LO, WTF.... It shifted fine before the I had to do emergency surgery on the transmission. The only thing I can figure is that somehow the shift rail got bumped and jammed up. I'm going to remove the shift pill and spring this morning and see if I can get it freed up. We'll see.