• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer 5.0 Final Install Question

spatacuulous

Loc.
philadelphia
Well I am coming down the home stretch. Lars has been really helpful and I wanted to stop bugging him for a bit. The TPS and the IAB I have on the TB are original and from the 1999 Ford Explorer motor.

Can I use these? I guess my question is, Do they function the same as the one's off Mustang or are they different? Would it be possible to lop off the connectors from Ryan's harness and just add the corresponding female receptors?

The explorer has TWO 3/8" NPT inputs in the floor of the intake manifold. One is connected to the cooling tubes and is for the ECt. The other is supposedly for the temperature gague sender, but the mustang 1993 5.0 does not have one of these. Just the ECT.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
TPS and IAB,
I spliced my '99 Explorer sensors into the mustang harness. Works just fine.

There should be the ECT for the computer, the one on the heater line.
The other one doesn't go to the computer. It goes to the original Bronco engine harness. No need to run the gauge sending unit through the EFI harness.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
According to what I've gleaned from reading on the Tweecer board, the Explorer idle speed control valve is slightly different than the EEC-IV version on Mustangs and others. I can't say as it is enough to notice with a stock engine, but the easy solution is to just replace the Explorer ISC with one from a Mustang, Crown Vic, etc. It's a direct swap.

I experimented with the Mustang TPS and the Explorer TPS. Tried both on my throttle body with my laptop plugged into the Tweecer chip, and watched the TPS voltage as I opened the throttle. Both the same. Use the Explorer part.