• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sticky ignition switch

Sport69

When I first bought my 69, it had no key. So I drilled out the cylinder (thanks for the Tech article Jeepster) and replaced it with a Dennis Carpenter 3 lock set. ...However when turning the key it felt a little tight and also had to manuallly turn it back from Start to Run. I was ordering a few other things from JBG so I figured a new ignition switch was cheap enough. Pulled out the old switch and checked the Start-Run return with a screwdriver and it was fine, felt the same as the new switch. Installed the new switch and same tight feel with the need to manually turn it back to Run.

Has anyone else had this problem? Thinking maybe the lock cylinder needs some filing? ...or maybe it'll wear out on its own over time.

mitzel

Contributor
Loc.
Googleplex
I bought a lock set through Tom's Bronco a couple years back and the
ignition switch was the same way. Mine has gotten better after this
couple years of use and a few applications of graphite lock lube.

One thing to watch out for if the key is positioned midway between
'Start' and 'Run' then on my Bronco the accessories were dead. If you
find your wipers, blinkers, etc. are not working then wiggle the key to
make sure it's properly lined up with 'Run'.

danny

mkaenel

Bronco Guru
Loc.
La Costa, CA
I have the same problem... haven't gotten around to address it yet.

If you find a solution let us know.

Matt

backpain

Bronco Guru
I bought a lock set through Tom's Bronco a couple years back and the
ignition switch was the same way. Mine has gotten better after this
couple years of use and a few applications of graphite lock lube.

One thing to watch out for if the key is positioned midway between
'Start' and 'Run' then on my Bronco the accessories were dead. If you
find your wipers, blinkers, etc. are not working then wiggle the key to
make sure it's properly lined up with 'Run'.

danny

Same here. Mine occasionally does not spring back all the way. If I lightly twist it counter clockwise the guages and accesories power up. I have just lived with it this way.

OP
OP
Sport69

Sport69

...One thing to watch out for if the key is positioned midway between 'Start' and 'Run' then on my Bronco the accessories were dead. If you find your wipers, blinkers, etc. are not working then wiggle the key to make sure it's properly lined up with 'Run'.
danny

Yeah... I was swappping in an automatic column at the same time. Lost about an hour or so retracing my wiring. Turned out the switch was in that spot and the turn signals were out.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
Graphite works best. it's hard to find the right stuff though. most of the time I find it in these stupid little tubes, that get plugged, then all of a sudden you've got graphite up to your elbows.
what you need to find is an aersol can of graphite.
I get mine from Barnes Distribution. they call it Graph Lube.
it's nice, cuz the graphite is wet when applied, so it runs into all the crevices, and then it dries out within a minute. great stuff, works every time