• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Builders remorse...help me decide!

Rear set up:

• Total voters

tdc_worm

Loc.
Austin
My 1977 is on jack stands with everything ground off the frame: coil buckets, trac bar mount, and front/rear leaf spring hangers. In the wings waits a complete 5.5" Cage system.

For the front, I am pushing everything around 5" forward and retaining all of the Cage components.

For the rear, I plan on moving the rear axle back, but I am undecided how I am going to do that. My options are

1. Use the Cage 5.5" leafs since I already have them. (I dont think I would have a problem selling them if I didnt use them)
2. Build and run a 3 Link system similar to the front. I have two sets of spare radius arms, a set of stock shock towers, and two spare trac bars at my disposal. (probably use TJ or JK rear coils)
3. Go with the Duff 4 Link kit. (may be limited on how far I can move the axle back due to the rear upper links)
4. Build my own 4 link kit (my ability to get the geometry correct may be suspect).

While I want the truck to be streetable, it is being built for the trail. But I also dont want to catch myself later saying "I wish I would have while I was under there..." I am stretching the rear somewhere between 6-8"s, I am relocating the rear cross member and using a BC tank. Money is not the issue. Doing it twice will be. What would you do?

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
use the leafs and feel out your new wheel base then install your upper links for wrap control figure out the geometry and let-er-rip with the 4 link. I am seriously doubting that you will care about the 4 link after you have the new wheel base.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
4-link it............add a doubler or stak................

You already how leafs work on your EB.
Money is not the issue, Doing it twice will be.

Just think how many people have said "I should have done it this way"

73bronco

4-link for sure! I couldn't be happier with my custom 4-link. It rides nicer than any leaf spring set-up I have experienced and flexes like mad! One thing on the street is it does get a little leany on left turns due to torque. Once you get used to it you don't even notice it. I have never seen leafs flex like my 4-link. It is at the max useable flex I can imagine. Mine is mostly off-road with driving to the trail and small errands around town. Maybe a few 4-link flex pics will help you decide so here ya go.

Attachments

• PICT0013.JPG
    PICT0013.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 28
  • PICT0008.JPG
    PICT0008.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 53
  • PICT0011.JPG
    PICT0011.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 26
  • PICT0016.JPG
    PICT0016.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 26
  • PICT0017.JPG
    PICT0017.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 26
  • PICT0018.JPG
    PICT0018.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 25

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Describe streetable? Drive it for hours on the highway? Running to the quikstore to by beer and back home. I could live with the 4 link to buy beer but no way for an hour on the highway. Just to much suspension and body movement for me.

Ben

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
My personal feeling is that body roll is that bigest factor in peoples idea of what is/is not "streetable". I'll be doing a coil'd rear soon too, but not without disconnectable sway bars.

OP
OP
T

tdc_worm

Loc.
Austin
streetability, by my definition, means that i can take it to the local meet and greets, cruise around austin on the weekend when it strikes my fancy, etc. i cant imagine wanting to spend more than about an hr cruising and nothing more than 55-60 mph...if it is anything like the tricked YJ i had in college, then 55 mph will feel like 80 mph with no hard top on.

after diving into it last night, i was having serious second thoughts about what it would take to make a 4 link functional off road and safe on the road. i spent another looking at it today, and it is all beginning to make more sense. i am actually starting to understand the calculators. so the research continues...