• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

9 inch crush sleeve

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
I'm having some problem setting up my gears. I put in the new bearing cups and new bearing in the pinion support, pressed in a new seal. I pressed on the new bearing on to the new pinion and put a new crush sleeve. I tried to tighten it and went to 250 ft-lbs. It got the bearing tight(too tight) but never crushed the sleeve. I didn't want to trash anything so I put a new crush sleeve on my old pinion with the old bearing and tried it on that. 250 lbs.and still nothing. I pulled out the big bar and pipe. I kept going a 1/4 turn and checking it. Still not crushed. I kept going until stripped the nut. I was well over 350ft/lbs went she stripped. I checked the bearing numbers a few times and the new ones match the old ones. I also too a look at the cups and the seem to match the old ones. I'm at a loss to what it could be. Any ideas?

Boldo

Loc.
Jasper,Al
I had the same problem. I used the old sleeve.
I am going to try it out Sat. at Bama Brawl at Gray Rock

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
I had the same problem. I used a press to start the crushing process then I finished it like normal... Not the conventional way I know....

OP
OP
ken75ranger

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY