• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ARB Compressor Install

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
I bought ARB Compressor kit from Mike at COR and I was pretty impressed with how easy this thing went together.

The directions were adequate, clear and easy to follow. It took me a little while to figure out which wires to tap into for the switches, but it wasn't too big of deal.

The hardest part was figuring out where to mount the compressor. The directions suggested installing the selonoid(s) and pressure switch before finding a place to mount the compressor. I recommend doing this, it will most likely make a difference as to where you decide to mount it.

ARB%20Comp%20001%20(Medium).jpg

I decided to mount mine on the driver's side core support. It made routing the air and electrical lines a breeze, plus I can get to the air hose adapter (after I buy it and install it). ;D

The electrical harness was really nice and looked to be made quite well. The only problem is the main supply lines (to the battery) were just long enough. If I had mounted it to the driver's side fender well, like originally planned, I would have had to extended those lines.

I used the mounting plate as a template for drilling the holes in the core support.

ARB%20Comp%20002%20(Medium).jpg

ARB%20Comp%20003%20(Medium).jpg

I routed the air lines along the frame rail. I used some cut up hydraulic hose to keep the plastic line protected at the attachment points.

ARB%20Comp%20006%20(Medium).jpg

ARB%20Comp%20007%20(Medium).jpg

ARB%20Comp%20008%20(Medium).jpg

The kit didn't come with a mounting bracket for the switches, so I would recommend buying one. I didn't want to wait around on shipping one to me so I decided to make one. My offroad light switch has been dangling from the dash since I bought my rig, so incorporated that into the bracket I made as well.

ARB%20Comp%20012%20(Medium).jpg

Notice the redneck vise...hehehe

ARB%20Comp%20013%20(Medium).jpg

ARB%20Comp%20014%20(Medium).jpg

ARB%20Comp%20015%20(Medium).jpg

ARB%20Comp%20016%20(Medium).jpg

The switches all mounted up...

ARB%20Comp%20018%20(Medium).jpg

The ARB kit says to hook their blue/white wire to the gauge light illumination wire. I found mine by taking the stock cluster out and tracing the wires to the dash lights. On mine it was the Blue/Red wire, so I tapped into it.

The accesory wire I traced out to a Black/Green wire to the fuse panel and tapped into it there.

The switch lights work perfectly.

ARB%20Comp%20019%20(Medium).jpg

Everything worked on the first attemp, so I must have done it right. :) I'm anxious to get the locker installed and test it out. It sounds pretty loud when the compressors running but it only takes about 2 or 3 seconds for it charge up. I may try and find a rubber gasket to put between the compressor and the core support.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
kbldawg - looks good. I went with a Viair compressor instead of the ARB, but mine looks about the same size. Are you using a tank at all?

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I wanted mine up higher. That front core support goes underwater pretty easy. No need to give the compressor a bath. I put mine on top of the drivers inner fender near the back. It just clears the stock hood. Your compressor is pretty fancy looking.

Attachments

• P1010041.JPG
    P1010041.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 74

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I placed my compressor in the same spot, although it;s the smaller ARB compressor. I figure I will just run the air intake up to a higher point or maybe under the dash? From what I have read, the ARB compressors are very tough. I agree the newer compressors do look quite a bit different and more techy.

Ben

OP
OP
kbldawg

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
kbldawg - looks good. I went with a Viair compressor instead of the ARB, but mine looks about the same size. Are you using a tank at all?

Nope, no tank. Maybe later but right now I just plan on using it the way it is. I'm going in baby steps. ;)

I wanted mine up higher. That front core support goes underwater pretty easy. No need to give the compressor a bath. I put mine on top of the drivers inner fender near the back. It just clears the stock hood. Your compressor is pretty fancy looking.

Lookin' good Bax, I like!!

That's where I originally wanted to put mine as well but, it was a tight fit with the hydroboost and the air line ports would have been bent a little harder than I liked, plus I would have had to of extended the main power lines to the battery.

Hopefully I won't have my hood under water. ;D

I placed my compressor in the same spot, although it;s the smaller ARB compressor. I figure I will just run the air intake up to a higher point or maybe under the dash? From what I have read, the ARB compressors are very tough. I agree the newer compressors do look quite a bit different and more techy.

Ben

X2! Later I plan on relocating the intake port to inside the cab just to keep it high and dry.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I had room with the hydro boost. But my hydro is a straight one.

Attachments

• P1010020.JPG
    P1010020.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 52

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I had room with the hydro boost. But my hydro is a straight one.

I put my Viair in the same spot - back of the top of the drivers side fender well. I had a cheapo one there before I bought the Viair. It had a plastic case and melted! I want to add a cool air vent before this summer.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Hmmm, OK I can see that. Used to own a 66 bronco with a cleveland motor and had to use the tonque trick to get my covers off too.

Ben

rmfreeze

Loc.
Benton, Arkansas
Looks good kbldawg & nice write-up!

<thread jack>
bax, is that your sole tranny cooler there on the passenger inner fender? I'm running the same cooler / same spot but with a rebuilt C4 and it's great unless I'm on the trail poking along - then my tranny temps creep up to 220+ over time. If I can get some movement the temps will drop pretty quick. I've cut the side skirts out of the inner fenders. Thinking of adding a small cooler in front of the radiator as the last in the series.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Looks good kbldawg & nice write-up!

<thread jack>
bax, is that your sole tranny cooler there on the passenger inner fender? I'm running the same cooler / same spot but with a rebuilt C4 and it's great unless I'm on the trail poking along - then my tranny temps creep up to 220+ over time. If I can get some movement the temps will drop pretty quick. I've cut the side skirts out of the inner fenders. Thinking of adding a small cooler in front of the radiator as the last in the series.

"Thread Jack reply" (sorry)
Yes it is my only trans cooler. Mine is mounted about 2 1/2'' above the inner fender. I have had no problems with trans oil temp. I have seen 2 other coolers mounted like mine. One was sitting over louvers cut into the upper inner fender and the other was ducted pulling fresh air thru the side of the inner fender. This was by far the best install idea because it sucked fresh air from outside the motor compartment. i also have cut about 4 '' of my passenger side inner fender skirt away. The headers were burning the paint.

bax