• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Budget axle build up questions

Jfly13

Loc.
Lockwood, Mo.
Ok, I have a few questions for future projects on my axles.

On my last trip I was lucky enough to wheel with Baile, Howiebuilt, and several other great people and rigs. Afterwards I realized even more that I need to get a locker in my front D44. I want to put a lockrite in the front but right now I have a factory limited slip in there. I know that I will have to first get an open carrier before I can put a lockrite in. So here is my firts question. I was lucky lately and recieved a full width front D44 from a mid 70's highboy truck. I believe it has on open carrier and 4.10 gears. Will this open carrier work for swapping out in my EB D44 so I can put in a lockright?

Next question....I eventually want to go full width axles with a heavy duty front D44 and rear D60. The free axle I got does not have have any of the outer stuff on it. I will need to buy new axles for it, but will all of the outer "stuff" from my EB axles swap over to this axle (knuckles,brakes,ect.)?

These are just a couple of the questions I can think of right now. Thanks for you help.

Itsa67

That carrier from the fullsize should work fine for your lockrite.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
you are actually backwards you need a 60 or a 609 front and a built 9 rear or 60 rear a built 44 will still un build itself long before the 9 will.

OP
OP
Jfly13

Jfly13

Loc.
Lockwood, Mo.
Since this is a budget build I am going to have to go with the D44 up front for awhile. I don't have the $1k to drop on a front D60. I only have 35's and am not built for the extreme crawling ( not yet). I can pick up a rear D60 some where between $100 and $200.

OP
OP
Jfly13

Jfly13

Loc.
Lockwood, Mo.
it is a 150 hi boy? does it have balljoints? if so knuckles should swap along w/the rest

There are not any joints on this thing. It is just the pumpkin, gears, and axle tubes. Can I swap my ball joints on to it? If it will help I can post a pic tomorrow.

Thanks for the answer about the carrier, that will help me out the most in the short term. If I put a lockrite in it I can swap it back into the full width axle when I want to go back to it I assume.

mr.n

There are not any joints on this thing. It is just the pumpkin, gears, and axle tubes. Can I swap my ball joints on to it? If it will help I can post a pic tomorrow.

Thanks for the answer about the carrier, that will help me out the most in the short term. If I put a lockrite in it I can swap it back into the full width axle when I want to go back to it I assume.
Budget 44.... :D

Yes, knuckles out will swap. Note the F250 can run the F150 short inner axle shaft... However you'll need a F250 76-79 long side inner axle shaft.

Hang on for the carrier.... What gears is your current 44 running?

OP
OP
Jfly13

Jfly13

Loc.
Lockwood, Mo.
Current carrier is 3.53. Thanks for bringing that up, I forgot about that. I will need to update my rear to 4.10 also won't I. Damn, more money. Does it ever end? On second thought don't answer that.