• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Slow cranking/Tight motor

tml

Loc.
Ontario, Canada
I've got a 302 here that has been siting a while. When I boost her, she turns real slow, some times not at all. I through about a litre of deisel fuel down the throat of the carb and let her sit for a week. I tried it again and nothing. I tried a good starter, same results. I've got spark. I just can't get her cranked fast enough.

Any suggestions.

OP
OP
tml

tml

Loc.
Ontario, Canada
I cleaned up the connections at the celenoid. The battery is bad I know this. I put a booster on the power side of the celenoid and ground accordingly, still the same result. I would think the booster would supply enough power to turn it?

Itsa67

How is your timing? If its off significantly it can cause slow cranking. Sometimes those boosters don't like to do all the work so you might also try swapping in a known good battery and giving it a try.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
How is your timing? If its off significantly it can cause slow cranking. Sometimes those boosters don't like to do all the work so you might also try swapping in a known good battery and giving it a try.

X2 thats what was wrong with an old car I was working on, try a new battery.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I cleaned up the connections at the celenoid. The battery is bad I know this. I put a booster on the power side of the celenoid and ground accordingly, still the same result. I would think the booster would supply enough power to turn it?

We have a collection of several hundred cars at work. Those booster backs are great. But they are a booster back, not a replacment for a bad battery. Many times we will need to tag team the booster (use 2) on a real dead battery.

So we are back to dealing with battery connections. Those booster clips are not as good as a real battery connection. How many times have I wiggled them to try and get just a little better bite for just a little better jump start I can't count.

Try a real battery in good shape, see what happens.

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
I had the same problem a while back, turned out the fuel pump drive was rubbing on the timing gear cover(I changed the timing cover)it was about .80 thinner then stock.