• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20 4HI Questions

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
OK I'm down to the wire to go to the Stampede. Here's the newest thing. I can't get 4HI unless I remove the pill and spring from the shift rail, and when I do it shifts way too easy and I don't think it's going to hold in gear. When I put the pill and spring back in, theres no 4HI, I do have 2HI, N, 2LO, and 4LO. What gives? This thing shifted fine before this weekends marothon transmission rebuild... Thanks in advance. Casey

BlackHorse

I hope the "pill" is the ball. If so just loosen the spring and ball retaining bolt little by little and see if you can shift it without taking the spring and ball out. Do you have a twin stick? If you do you can move the other stick at the same time you are trying to shift and you should be able to find the sweet spot. Good luck.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I have a twin stick, and have a heck of a time getting into front HI. It has to do with the shape of the recess in the front shift rail. There's a nice ramp to get to Front Lo, but it's very steep (no ramp at all) to get to front high. I had installed heavy duty detent springs in both front and rear, and had to put my worn-out spring back in for the front shift rail to be able to get to Front HI. Even with this, I have to smack the shifter handle pretty good to get it to move towards front HI. The attached pic kinda shows what I mean, but if you look at the actual shift rail, the transition from neutral to Front Hi is even steeper.

Attachments

• figure18.jpg
    figure18.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I got it to go in by rocking it and feathering the clutch. It used to go alot smoother. I did notice a dimplie in my floor where it looks like the end of the transfer case smacked it while trying to get it out in a hurry. The dimple is right where the shift rail would hit the floor...