• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer Serp Belt AC delete?

robofig

Has anyone bought or fabed an ac delete idler pulley for the explorer serp belt conversion? If I use a shorter belt I get interfearence at the water pump and upper idler pulleys. Maybe you guys know of smaller idler pulley that can be used. Any help or pics would be great. Thanks in advance.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I tried running a shorter belt but didn't like the closeness of the belts around the water pump. I did by an idler pulley and bracket to take the place of the AC pump at Advance auto for around 30-40 bucks. You may need to space the idler pulley out with a couple of big washers just need to check alignment.
Used the factory belt if memory serves.
Ben

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have heard of several people just running a short belt with no problem. I know mustang people who delete the smog pump and the belt is so close you can't stick you finger between them, never had it be an issue.

If you already have the A/C compressor you can always just install it and cover the ports. As long as you don't energize the coil it is nothing more then an idler pulley anyway.

OP
OP
R

robofig

The upper idler pulley would have to reduced by at least 1 inch for the belts to clear each other. I checked at the part store today for a smaller pulley with no luck. Tomorrow I'm going to the pick a parts to see what I can find.

Delta4WheelDrive

Loc.
Bakersfield
just run a shorter belt. I initially asked for one from an exploder W/O AC and the tech said the exploder never came with a V8 and no AC. I found one that fit and have had it on there for 6 years. If you have hassles, I can look on the belt to see if the part number is still on it.

OP
OP
R

robofig

As I said in an earlier post, a shorter belt will not work without a smaller upper idler pulley. If anyone can give me a part number and size for a smaller pulley that would be great. I thought I saw a pic of Todd Z's set up without an ac delete pulley but could be mistaken. And again thanks in advance.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I am just using a smaller belt and it runs fine...around my garage. I probably still have the PN...

OP
OP
R

robofig

A belt PN would be great. Also if you could give me diameters of all your pulleys. Maybe I have got an odd ball sized pulley that is throwing me off.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
hmm, didn't know they changed idler pulley sizes. I thought the only differences in the explorer brackets was the 96 used more bolts to heads/block. I have 96? setup with shorter belt as well. PARTSAMERICA4060832

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
As I said in an earlier post, a shorter belt will not work without a smaller upper idler pulley. If anyone can give me a part number and size for a smaller pulley that would be great. I thought I saw a pic of Todd Z's set up without an ac delete pulley but could be mistaken. And again thanks in advance.

No idler or a/c delete pulley on Todd's. He left the a/c compressor off and just runs a shorter belt- I've seen his myself. The belt can be routed two ways- maybe you are doing it differently? Pics below are Todd's.

Attachments

• Fanclearance2.JPG
    Fanclearance2.JPG
    189.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Lowerhose1.jpg
    Lowerhose1.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 56
OP
OP
R

robofig

Hey guys, I took a quick trip down to pick a part, and found a smaller pulley. It is about 3" in diameter, my old one was 4". This gives me a 1/2" between the belts. The pulley was off a 2007 ford focus and uses the same bearing as the other idler/tensioner pulleys.
If anyone wants to run an ac delete pulley, I found one made by dorman and is sold at rockauto.com for $ 27.90.
In about a week I will put pics up for any future clarification. Thanks for all the input.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Nest time you go shopping get a spare. Your 3" is going to turn 25% faster than stock.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
hmm, didn't know they changed idler pulley sizes. I thought the only differences in the explorer brackets was the 96 used more bolts to heads/block. I have 96? setup with shorter belt as well. PARTSAMERICA4060832

That's the part number of the belt I run too. I believe mine came from NAPA and has a "25" in front of the number. Sounds like we need to do some measuring on the pulley sizes - I've never heard of there being differences either.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
R

robofig

I'm not worried about it spinning faster. I figure it spins pretty fast for its whole life in that focus I pulled it out of.
A trick I learned to do with sealed bearings is to pull out one of the seals and pack the bearing full of grease. It amazes me how little grease comes in them from the factory.
As I said before, all the idler/tensioner pulleys use the same bearing. The PN from Federal-Mogal is 203-FF if anyone needs it. Probably a good idea to carry a spare or two.

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey guys, I took a quick trip down to pick a part, and found a smaller pulley. It is about 3" in diameter, my old one was 4". This gives me a 1/2" between the belts. The pulley was off a 2007 ford focus and uses the same bearing as the other idler/tensioner pulleys.
If anyone wants to run an ac delete pulley, I found one made by dorman and is sold at rockauto.com for $ 27.90.
In about a week I will put pics up for any future clarification. Thanks for all the input.

Any pics yet? Anyone?

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
The damn belt numbers are based off length, get yourself some string and measure how long you actually need and have your guy look up an Explorer belt to get a base line for the numbers and go from there... but that assumes your parts guy knows his shit and isn't a number puncher..

I've got info in my build thread, but when I was sitting at Oriley's I looked up the tech article and got the info I needed.. but my PSC pull is an odd size and I needed a different belt anyway.