• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

let's see your home made tools

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
we're all handy group. i know a number of us have come up with tools and such to get things done.
i thought it would be neat to have a thread to show some of goodies we've made.
here's a couple out of my collection i've done.
hub socket and spindle puller

Attachments

• DSC04962.JPG
    DSC04962.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 304
  • DSC04963.JPG
    DSC04963.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 301

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
How about a rod bolt stretch gauge from a dial indicator and a drawer handle?

Attachments

• Bronco 109.jpg
    Bronco 109.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 190

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
How about a transmission jack....

Attachments

• transdolly.jpg
    transdolly.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 451

Phoenix0783

These aren't really 'tools' but they still help me get stuff done nonetheless.

Model T axle tube jack stands:
2582033473_962da2a08c.jpg

A-Frame w/ electric lift:
2582034215_0db2e2e64c.jpg

Fixture in the floor to straighten/align a frame or to keep it level and aligned for modifications. There are five of these in the shape of an 'x':
2582034619_766a91255f.jpg

2582035441_96505b76ca.jpg

Fishbone

Loc.
Northern, Illinois
A chain stretcher for a large trencher, it allows the chain to be repaired without releasing the boom tension.

The other one is a clutch puller for one of my old sleds. I also use that one for removing leaf spring bushings. I have to use another piece with it for that... don't know where it went though.

I've got quite a few gadgets at work. I'm usually too cheap to buy it... if I can make it.

This is a great topic. It'll give everybody some good ideas.

DSCN1939.jpg

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
spindle puller?? i'd snap a few pics of the one i made, but it consists of nothing more than a 2x4 and a BFH. the 2x4 does need to be replaced on occassion.

i did make a axle seal installer for the newer d-60 front ends on the F-250's. i used a toilet bowl flange and some cast iron pipe and a pipe cap. still not as trick as the spindle puller- you oughta market that one...

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Here's a couple I did a while back. Both are home-built by me, not by the pro fabricators at the shop (WCB) who would have done a nicer job! First one is my roll-around axle cart. I got tired of lugging disassembled axles around, moving them from place to place in my tiny garage. This one is adjustable in every direction and has become one of my favorite pieces.

The second pic is of my 80-gallon 2-stage portable air compressor. My garage is tiny so I needed to be able to push it out into the driveway when I'm working out there, and a little air compressor just wouldn't do. Bought the compressor for $150 off craigslist and made the cart for it (with a storage tray).

I don't have any cool home-built hand tools other than the pair of primitive pliers I made in Ag shop way back in high school (its an interesting relic but utterly useless). Nick that spindle nut tool is the bomb! I just use a Kragen one.

Dusty

Attachments

• compressor.jpg
    compressor.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 250
  • axlestand.jpg
    axlestand.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 323

bludorbronc

I don't have any pictures but I use these to make life easier. On my floor jack I take out the pad and I made a stand that bolts to my u-bolt flange on my 9 inch to lift it out of the housing and it also keeps the assembly from spinning once its out of the bolts and it slides into the pad hole on the jack. To work on the third member I use my engine stand ,I made some arms that bolt onto the stand that lets me bolt onto the third member bolt flange, that way I can spin it around for pinion work or diff. work. Using the cherry picker to pick it off the floor. No back breaking .

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Imagine a Chinese socket that has 4 grooves ground in it to remove balljoint sleeves Oh - and guess how many times it has cracked and been rewelded :D

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
Here is my axle and dent puller or slidehammer.......
Made with schedule 40 pipe and 1500# rated steel fittings

Attachments

• slidehammer.jpg
    slidehammer.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 296

OX1

Bronco Guru
Transfer case cradle. Designed for a 205 case, but works on a D20 too.....
Only way my puny 158 lbs could install a 205 by myself. Dual jacks allow for rotation side to side since that is usually the hardest thing to get in the right spot, just from the weird nature of a TC shape.

Attachments

• DCP02583.jpg
    DCP02583.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 327

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Press

Picked up the power unit at an equipment auction for $10. I-Beam was left over from a construction job.

"If women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." Red Green

Attachments

• IMGP0001 (Large).JPG
    IMGP0001 (Large).JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:

High Pressure

Loc.
Charleston, SC
Here's my famous (among friends) vice mounted to a stump.. The base is an old cast iron excersize bike wheel.

When asked why I did it...I tell people that I needed a a fixture for holding diesel injector nozzles while I EDM larger spray holes with a special electrode attached to my arc welder!! LOL

Attachments

• IMG_2036.jpg
    IMG_2036.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 238

drscotch

Loc.
Edmonton, Alberta
Is a table a tool? ;D

My combination welding/layout table. I used 2.5" receiver tube for adjustable height legs, 3/4" thick top for heavy hammer use. Since this picture I borrowed a mag drill and drilled a 4" x 4" grid of 3/8" holes over the entire top. I tap the holes as I need them for jigging stuff up. Built some jigs to mount my D44 to the top when I did the rebuild. Way better than lying on the floor doing gear setup!

Attachments

• DSC_0827small.jpg
    DSC_0827small.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 302

brian72

Early Bronco Student
Is a table a tool? ;D

My combination welding/layout table. I used 2.5" receiver tube for adjustable height legs, 3/4" thick top for heavy hammer use. Since this picture I borrowed a mag drill and drilled a 4" x 4" grid of 3/8" holes over the entire top. I tap the holes as I need them for jigging stuff up. Built some jigs to mount my D44 to the top when I did the rebuild. Way better than lying on the floor doing gear setup!

I have been thinking about a table.....I just found my inspiration...thanks