• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

c4 shifting question

mkaenel

Bronco Guru
Loc.
La Costa, CA
I just drove the truck around the cul de sac and it up shifts from 1 to 2 and then 3 really quickly. About every 5 feet. It doesn't seem to be holding 1st gear at all.

It is a brand new trans rebuilt by Art Carr and it sat in my garage for about a year before it was put in.

It's weird because the first time I drove it (about 2 months ago) it worked fine up and down the block.

Any ideas?

OP
OP
mkaenel

mkaenel

Bronco Guru
Loc.
La Costa, CA
Actually after doing it again it seems to be slipping from 1st gear to neutral and the back into gear... and then back to neutral.

Any Ideas?

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
bought my 74 new in 74.same trbl from factory.ford rebuilt it once ,re-did it 3 more times.same old stuff.i think you have a case ,or valve body trbl.it would last about two mounths on a re-build.although it never broke down in all these years.put a new one in two years ago.trouble gone.

OP
OP
mkaenel

mkaenel

Bronco Guru
Loc.
La Costa, CA
I honestly think it is a low fluid issue. Because it worked fine the first time I tried out the new drive train (down the street and back).

Since then I have had to drop the trans pan and reseal it because of a leak. I will be checking the level tomorrow.

Thanks,

Matt

bought my 74 new in 74.same trbl from factory.ford rebuilt it once ,re-did it 3 more times.same old stuff.i think you have a case ,or valve body trbl.it would last about two mounths on a re-build.although it never broke down in all these years.put a new one in two years ago.trouble gone.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
You can try adjusting your vacuum modulator, clockwise on the screw, to tighten up the tension which makes it shift later rather than sooner. Give it one or two turns and then try it out.

Mine sat for a while too (3 years) and finally worked itself out after ~1,000 miles to get things lubed again. (warning - C4 trans rookie advice)

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The modulator will not cause your C4 to slip. If it was working good prior do not adjust the modulator now.