• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wheel Well Fan?

luke_hopper

I am thinking of installing an 8 or 9 inch fan mounted on top of the wheel well to evacuate the hot air in the engine compartment? I would also obviously cut the top of the wheel well out and install a piece of perforated steel. Does anyone have any experience with doing this and was it productive? If so, it seems like an easy cheap way to remove some of the excess heat.
Thanks
Luke

Last edited:

bdixon

Loc.
Puyallup, WA
I think bronco graveyard sells prefabed pieces for the inner fender called Broncool. I havent used them yet but they claim good results without needing a fan.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Yes a couple of years ago there were several guys here that had some fenders that had louvers cut in them ...Great unless your in a lot of water ...BUT I like your ideal of a fan for the summer then plug it in winter when I'LL be around more mud...

Scrapper_MV

I put a tranny cooler with a fan there. I just drilled some 2" holes in the top of the inner fender. It works good, keeps my tranny cool and sucks the hot air out of the engine compartment.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I just cut out my inner fenders. The hot air evacuates easily without the need for a fan.

OP
OP
luke_hopper

luke_hopper

OK, thanks. I am in AZ and not slinging a lot of water or mud so think Ill be OK. As for the rocks, I imagine the perforated steel will keep most of that under control. Consider it done, I will post back and let you guys know the results.

weasel

Loc.
Norfolk
I'm also installing a Transmission cooler and fan on top of the passenger side wheel well. Some Member here suggested it was the best place. I went to Home depot and purchased a 10 X 10 side wall ceiling air grill to for $7, (in the pluming section) it fits perfect on top of the wheel well and seem to provide allot of protection for the cooler. I cut out a 10 X 10 square in the top of the heel well to allow the most air follow. When finish with install I'll post pics.

This is a link for what the vent looks like:
http://www.floorregisterresources.com/proddetail.asp?prod=10x10-Return-Air-Grille-White

weasel

Loc.
Norfolk
Here are some pics

Attachments

• Ac vent.jpg
    Ac vent.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 20
  • ps wheel well.jpg
    ps wheel well.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 38
  • ps wheel well 1.jpg
    ps wheel well 1.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 43
  • 1 (11).jpg
    1 (11).jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 57
  • ac vent painted black.jpg
    ac vent painted black.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 1 (13).jpg
    1 (13).jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 35

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
I am doing that now with louvers. I am putting in a tranny cooler too but yours would be the same without the cooler.
dscf2932-small.JPG

Scrapper_MV

I ran the heck out of it at BBBB for the first time. I put over a 100 miles of trail time on it. It only got dusty, no rock damage at all. And there wasn't any mud out there, so I can't say how that would effect it. I know it save me from over heating several times.

what happens when your tires start slinging rocks and mud?