• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Oil Cooler Install??

luke_hopper

I am going to install a Derale oil cooler, with a fan, and am curious as to the best way to hook this up to the oil system. Should I use a sandwich adapter before the oil filter? If so, which one and what type of lines should I use? Is there a complete kit that has everything I would need to make this happen?
Thanks

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
I had to use a remote filter adapter because there wasent enough room for the filter with the oil sandwich type.also I stuck the cooler on the drivers side front of the wheel well with the power steering cooler on top with the fan on top of all of it.(see picture in my gallery)

Last edited:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
There are kits out there that are relatively cheap. I kinda like the right angle adapter that ford used on mid 80's pickups with 460's you can turn the filter so its straight down and it has oil cooler hook ups. I'd probably go with a remote mount filter If I went with anything else.

Last edited:

moneypit77

Loc.
forks, WA
I had to use a remote filter adapter because there wasent enough room for the filter with the oil sandwich type
I would like to do this also and was thinkig of going to the sandwich adaptor. would there be enough room if you used the short filter?

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
probably, but the nice thing about a remote filter is it's easy to get to and I like to fill mine before installing it and with the stock location it's a mess screwing it back on full.

OP
OP
luke_hopper

luke_hopper

I kinda like the right angle adapter that ford used on mid 80's pickups with 460's you can turn the filter so its straight down and it has oil cooler hook ups.

is this something I would have to get from the dealership or can I pick it up aftermarket?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I get them at junkyards all the time but I would imagine you could get them at the dealership. I know the orginal application was on 429 SCJ and PI's The old p/n was DOOZ-6881-B for the adapter and C4GY-6894-A For the bolt. The P/N for the one I've been getting off 460's is D8UE-6884-AA not sure on the bolt for it. I know ford motor sports used to sell these also. I'll post up a pic as soon as I can.

Attachments

• oil adapter.jpg
    oil adapter.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 22
  • adapter.jpg
    adapter.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 21

Scrapper_MV

That looks like a great solution. Do you have any pics of it installed? I would like to see how close it gets to the frame, exhaust and/or power steering.

I get them at junkyards all the time but I would imagine you could get them at the dealership. I know the orginal application was on 429 SCJ and PI's The old p/n was DOOZ-6881-B for the adapter and C4GY-6894-A For the bolt. The P/N for the one I've been getting off 460's is D8UE-6884-AA not sure on the bolt for it. I know ford motor sports used to sell these also. I'll post up a pic as soon as I can.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I havent installed one yet. I've gotten 3 setups gave one to my brother and not one of them has been installed. I'm planning on doing it during the next oil change soon as I get new oil rings to seal it up. But from what I've determined it will not come out further than the oil filter does normally and it can be turned straight down. On pickups with 460's the crossmember has a hole that the filter sticks through seen a few with lines hooked up still had good clearance.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:D :D :D Look in the junk yards. Ford trucks,vans, and some cars. The last one I got was from a 88 LTD with 351W and AOD. Got the car for 150.00 wrecked good motor and new trans. You mite need to look as not all had them good luck.:D :D :D Bill %) :cool: ;D

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
my perma-cool oil cooler uses a sandwich type adapter, and with a shorter oil filter (fram PH43 or equivalant) it'll still fit inside the frame rail.

Attachments

• DSCF2037.JPG
    DSCF2037.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF2039.JPG
    DSCF2039.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 61

TXHusker

Loc.
Edmond, OK
73Stallion - have you had the cooler mounted there for very long? I don't suppose it is at any greater risk for puncture/damage where you have it vs in front of the radiator?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I think it would be easy to make a skid plate for it there.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
it hasn't got hit yet, but it's crossed my mind. i plan on putting a piece of expanded metal or something over it eventually.