• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Another Fuel Pump Thread

dnash

Loc.
The home of Ford
So there seem to have been a lot of threads about fuel pumps recently so being the follower that I am I thought I would start my own.
My question: I am considering the switch to the electric from the mechanical but wonder if I do, how do I handle the mechanical? Specifically, if I put the electric close to the tank, can I leave the mechanical in place? If so, do I bypass it or let the fuel run through it as well. My main concern is my wipers and the vacuum booster. Also, I would assume that there is a cover to place where the mechanical pump was if you remove it. Seems like it would be ok to have it there as a backup, but I would worry about it running dry.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You can leave the mechanical in place I would bypass it as it wont really help. but Since you have vacuum wipers then I guess you need to keep the pump in place. Might even need to keep it inline as I would imagine that the diaphragm may dry since its already had gas in it. Brake booster should be hooked up to the intake manifold. I have run them inline didnt make any differance once the diaphragm in the mechanical one strarted leaking I bypassed it then later on made a block off plate and removed it. Might be a good idea just to get a electric pump for a backup at this point mount it use a lenght of hose toclose both ports. Then if you need it you'll have it.