• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Overdrive Transmission?

smoktf250

Im looking for an overdrive tranny. was going to run a c4...unless people convince me that the c4 is best. Thought it would be a good choice to have overdrive. what the best auto overdrive tranny to go with? Is an A4OD a good choice?

Broncos n' VWs

I'm going to run a 4R70W (AODE) from a 2000 Ford Explorer. My reasoning for doing so is that I am in need of that overdrive and I am sick of my T-18. I talked to a few guys on this board and it seems to be a pretty decent setup. My .02 ...

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I believe the Ford 4R70W.. without the electrical part..
I will soon find out..... I'm just doing it all backwards...
I got an older AOD and building it up with 4R70W internals and a Lentech valvebody....

OP
OP
S

smoktf250

Whats the differance between the AODE, and 4R70W? Who is a know builder for this tranny?

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
AODE is an electronic AOD same gears, same well known problems. The 4R70W is an updated version, lower gears, and much more reliable. You still need a Baumann computer to shift it, but you can control your shift points and you have control over the lock up torque converter.

Another option is to swap in a 700R4, doesn't require a computer, but it gets expensive real fast when you add up the adapters needed for the swap.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
www.becontrols.com
Read up on the FAQ sections
From what I gather the '98 and up are the best. '98 was the start of the mechanical Diode as well as the upgraded stub shaft. Have reports of some fairly stock transmissions (with simple upgrades (shift kit, convertor), not full billit innards) taking 700 HP just fine.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
AODE is an electronic AOD same gears, same well known problems. The 4R70W is an updated version, lower gears, and much more reliable. You still need a Baumann computer to shift it, but you can control your shift points and you have control over the lock up torque converter.

Another option is to swap in a 700R4, doesn't require a computer, but it gets expensive real fast when you add up the adapters needed for the swap.

Bax had a painfull experience with the AOD option behind his big engine..all well documented in his long thread about that. I personally have done the 700R4 option and it has been holding up very well..but only after a ton of issues getting the correct torque convertor and TV adjustment so it would not overheat. And yes, the adapters required are very pricey.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Bax had a painfull experience with the AOD option behind his big engine..all well documented in his long thread about that. I personally have done the 700R4 option and it has been holding up very well..but only after a ton of issues getting the correct torque convertor and TV adjustment so it would not overheat. And yes, the adapters required are very pricey.

you just have probles with things attached to your tranny:-X ;D

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
on the mustang boards there is a guy named silverfox. He is a hardcore ford mustang auto trans builder. I would find him and talk with him. BI

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
you just have probles with things attached to your tranny:-X ;D

That's a T-18/205 behind my Oz-408. If I could live withy a slush box..it would be only a C-6 behind that thing for me. The 700R4 is behind a stock '88 5.0 HO..

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
I believe all the trannies below can be built to be very stout. The 4R and 700R4 would be the strongest of the group though.

AODE
Pros, Bolts up to Ford Engines, Shifting is tuneable through Computer control.
Cons, Tall Gear set, Cost extra for computer controller, early versions should be upgraded for max reliability, ( AODE was only available up to 96)

AODE 4R70W ( later version of AODE with wide ratio gears)
Pros, Bolts up to Ford Engines, Shifting is tuneable through Computer control.
Lower gearset than earlier AOD or AODE and C4. 98 and up versions have good reliability upgrades built in.
Cons, Cost extra for computer controller, early versions should be upgraded for max reliability

AOD
Pros, No computer controller required. Bolts up to ford engine. about 3/4 of an inch shorter than AODE/4R70W
Cons Tall gears ( can be upgraded to wide ratio gear set for more $), Shift profile is set by trans builder, not easily changed.

700r4

Pros Lowest gear set of all the trannies above. No computer controller required.
Cons Needs adapter to bolt up to Ford Engine. Requires more custom work to make it all work with the Ford setup than the Ford trannies above.

C4,
Pros, Cheap to install
Cons No overdrive, tall first gear, shift profile must be set by builder

Tom

Last edited:

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've had a lot of difficulty locating a 4r70w. Course, I don't want to pay more than $200 for it, and that may have something to do with my problem.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Just take your time it will come. I recently got a ZF with tcase for $200 would have been about $120 for the tranny alone. I wasnt even really interested in one at the time but it was in the pick and pull for over a month and I finally decided that I'd pull it especially for that price.

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
99+ 4R70W from behind a 4.2 or 3.8.

700R4's are nice, but they also need to be 'built' to handle higher hp/tq levels. Plus while the argument is true about not needing the electronics, you'll still need $pendy adapters. As far as I see it, it's a wash money wise between the two.

BTW-For AOD series tranny's, Silverfox is the man, check out clickclickracing.com (his board) or my Yahoo! group-AODominators (he posts there a lot as well).

Last edited: