• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Exhaust Header help

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
With the install of my Atlas, it looks like the driveshaft is going to hit the flange on my long-tube headers, so what should I do? I like BC's shorties, but I would like to try and find something cheaper and I am not against going back to stock manifolds. The 351 is out of a '94 F-250, but I assume I need manifolds from a bronco if I go that way. Anyone have pictures of what they have done to clear drivetrain components with shorter header and manifolds? Thanks!

J.D.

doghauler

Loc.
Western WA State
I eliminated my flanges. I had the exhaust shop cut them off and weld the pipes directly to the header collector, my flange was too close to the front driveline for my taste.

(I run the stock d20)

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Might also Heat up the headers and bend them out of the way for clearance. Also I'd see if its going to actually hit before tweaking anything

OP
OP

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
Oh yeah, I'll wait until I know for sure they are going to hit, but I do need to make them removable for future service of the tranny so I can't weld pipe on, unless it's simply to extend the flange back a couple inches.

Still looking for other options, so please post up if you can help. Thanks!

J.D.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I had the same problem with the FW HP D44......I used mustang shorties......and a simple mod.....cost me $30.
You'll probably have to go to single exhaust........
More pics in my build thread in my sig.

Attachments

• DSCN3430.JPG
    DSCN3430.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 43

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
You can get some cheap shorties that will clear the passenger frame for around 150. Made by Hedman and I purchased a set through Summitracing.

The passenger side pretty much looks like the one bronko69er posted.

Ben

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I've seen both and even though shorties are in vogue now, your long tube headers should produce more torque as well as a nicer tone. I would take it to a good muffler shop for adjustment. However, if you want to throw them out, I'll be in the Dallas area for a few days.

OP
OP

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
I will just have to see what happens when I get the d-shafts mounted in. Jesse - do you have pictures in your build of those headers before you modified them?

Blubuckaroo - that's what I have been lead to believe the same thing about long tube headers, but Chuck @ BC's has dyno sheets to prove otherwise. I don't know if you'd even want my headers, They are pretty pitted and may not survive the uninstallation.

Big-muddy, thanks for the heads up on the hedeman headers.

J.D.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
Jesse - do you have pictures in your build of those headers before you modified them?

J.D.

No but basically the flange was attached where the left edge of the new metal meets the tubes. The studs pointed downward at a 45 and dropped right on top of the frame rail. Virtually impossible to get a pipe in under there.
Being that you have a 351, you may have just enough room to squeak a pipe in there without the mod.

OP
OP

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
hmmm - thanks for the info Jesse. I might have to look strongly into that if what I have won't work. I'd love a set of Chucks, but I just don't think they are in the budget.

J.D.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I will just have to see what happens when I get the d-shafts mounted in. Jesse - do you have pictures in your build of those headers before you modified them?

Blubuckaroo - that's what I have been lead to believe the same thing about long tube headers, but Chuck @ BC's has dyno sheets to prove otherwise. I don't know if you'd even want my headers, They are pretty pitted and may not survive the uninstallation.

Big-muddy, thanks for the heads up on the hedeman headers.

J.D.

I've seen the dyno test sheets. They lean more to horsepower gain than torque gain. I've got a trail rig not a dragster. Also, I've driven both types and I'll go with the long tubes.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Check out hed 88400 at summit. The passenger side header is swept back off the frame alot more than ones rcmbronco is referencing. These are also the set I just purchased and mentioned above. 149. 95 from summit.

Ben

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I've seen the dyno test sheets. They lean more to horsepower gain than torque gain. I've got a trail rig not a dragster. Also, I've driven both types and I'll go with the long tubes.

Maybe you looked at the wrong charts, one does not have the torque on it. I'll look into that. But on the other two the torque is perty impressive. I didn't mention it before because most people like to see the HP increase.
P.S. I am changing my headers, Same design but they will be made of SS with the doom connector and either uncoated or ceramic coated. They have been ordered and should be here around the end of July