• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I Broke My GT40 Lower Manifold? More Pics

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
After my efi swap, I noticed a small weep around the temp sender a few days ago. Today I swapped in a spare sender and when tightening everything down I hear a 'POP' and look down to discover the corner of the intake manifold is cracked! The crack goes form the head to about where the dizzy meets the manifold.

Is this something that can be fixed? These manifolds don't exactly grow on trees around here... Anybody have a spare?

Attachments

• PICT6774.JPG
    PICT6774.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
After my efi swap, I noticed a small weep around the temp sender a few days ago. Today I swapped in a spare sender and when tightening everything down I hear a 'POP' and look down to discover the corner of the intake manifold is cracked! The crack goes form the head to about where the dizzy meets the manifold.

Is this something that can be fixed? These manifolds don't exactly grow on trees around here... Anybody have a spare?

Should be fixable by a knowledgable welding shop......question is how much is it gonna cost.

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
Don't crank so hard on the next one. You really had to lay into that one to get it to crack like that. Yes it can be welded but you will need to retap the hole or it may leak in the thread area if the crack is not completely welded up.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I vote for a new one. with a supercharger. yeah thats it.

Don't waste your time fixing it.

OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Funny thing is I wasn't even cranking on it. I'm assuming there was some sort of casting flaw in the manifold. I had a local guy recommended to tig weld it for me, so I'll see what he wants to fix it. I'm glad it happened in the garage and not out in the middle of nowhere with my family loaded up... But it still is a set back. I've only got 5 weeks till the RMR and I still have a laundry list of little things to fix, and now this 'little' surgery...

Bigmuddy how much do you want for your intakes?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It was probably cracked some before you swapped senders and that's why it was leaking. With the taper on the pipe threads it forced the crack open more.

rnrmp

Loc.
owasso
"I'm glad it happened in the garage and not out in the middle of nowhere with my family loaded up"

Your in Aztec, that is the middle of nowhere. But I cant wait to get there to fish the San Juan and eat at that Mexican Restaurant there in Aztec, Dont ring that bell in the bar area, everyone on the block ran in like I was really gonna buy them all a drink, suckers.

OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Here's some more pics. I hope I can get this welded back up, we'll see what the man has to say tommorow.

Attachments

• PICT6815.JPG
    PICT6815.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 58
  • PICT6816.JPG
    PICT6816.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 62

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I bought an Edelbrock setup for my 351 off ebay . I got almost free because the guy had broken three mounting ears off the upper and stripped two holes where it mounted to the lower. I had it welded and then milled down about 1/4". All together, I paid right ay $100 to have the repairs made. Been running it about 5 years now without any issues .

OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I found a hot rod guy that tig welded the crack, and gave me $100, in trade for my old 9" housing and axles. I almost feel bad%). The weld is pretty obvious hopefully it sealed up the crack.

I'm going to keep my eye out for a donor at the yards. I've also got a couple of members who frequent several other yards keeping an eye out.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Casey, this is probably obvious, but check that gasket surface for flatness with a good straight edge- it probably isn't.

OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Hey Lars, I checked it and yes it's flat, Todd and I both think that there was some sort of casting flaw from the factory. After I had it welded I used a long file and knocked the weld down on the gasket surface and also checked the surface for 'flatness'. I'm hoping to get it back together this weekend, to see if the crack is 'fixed'.