• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I6 distributer lock bolt

bgs26

Loc.
Eunice, LA
Where is the lock bolt on the distributer? I want to turn the distributer a little to see if it will help the timing of my 170 i6

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
it is at the base of the distributor. it is not uncommon for grunge to build up and bury it so you can't see it. it holds a tab against that holds the distributor to the block. the bolt will be in line with the distributor and will be threaded into the block. Maybe 2" off to the side of the distributor shaft.

OP
OP
bgs26

bgs26

Loc.
Eunice, LA
is it under the distributor or do I need to pull the distributor cap to see it? I know that my timing is pretty far off and needs to be adjusted.

OP
OP
bgs26

bgs26

Loc.
Eunice, LA
Found it. It was a 1/2" and was not easy to see. It is running again and has a pretty smooth idle. Anyone know what the ideal degrees BTDC is on a 170 i6? I am at about 7 or 8 right now. It is hard to tell.