• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

idles fine but sputters when driving

bgs26

Loc.
Eunice, LA
I started out today needing to adjust the timing on my '66 170 i6. Seems simple right...wrong. As I was removing the vacuum line off of the distributor, it broke. OK simple, I will fix it after I set the timing. Well after finally getting a good idle, I went all over God's creation looking for a new vacuum line. After finally finding that, I installed everything as it was and went for a test drive. I did not get far. At idle everything seems fine. When I give a little throttle the motor sputters and kind of backfires. Any suggestions?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
intake or exhuast back fire? either way you may have to much or to little timing. Did you adjust the points?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'd check the point gap and adjust as needed then reset the timing. If the points are worn or need adjustment timing will be hard to adjust.

OP
OP
bgs26

bgs26

Loc.
Eunice, LA
seal between carb and intake are good. checked timing again and it is good. idles fine at about 500 rpm. starts to sputter at about 1500 rpm. could my problem be the vacuum advance on the distributor?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
No you need either a dwell meter or a feeler gauge.

OP
OP
bgs26

bgs26

Loc.
Eunice, LA
it did not do it before i set the timing. when i went to remove the vacuum advance line from the distributor it broke. now i have a different vacuum line and it may not be pulling vacuum. that is why i asked if that could be the problem.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Timing will change as the points and rubbing block wear. You corrected the timing change but did not correct the dwell or point gap. Always set dwell or gap first before timing because dwell affects timing. Timing does not affect dwell.

Dr. Bronc

Sorry to hijack the thread. But what is the point gap for the 170 motor? I'm in the process of timing too.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
0.027" for 68-74
0.025" for 66-67

Last edited:
OP
OP
bgs26

bgs26

Loc.
Eunice, LA
update:
I acquired a dwell meter and found that the setting was way off. It was like 23-25. I adjusted the dwell which then threw the timing off again. I adjusted the timing and it idles way better than it did before. It is pretty smooth. Also, the sputtering when driving has stopped. I took it for about a 30 min. drive and everything seemed fine. It still has a little exhaust backfire but that could be caused by another problem. I need to change out the gaskets on the engine, but that is a whole other project. Thanks to everyone who had some input. It is greatly appreciated.