• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Do I Need A PCV Valve?

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
My bronco didn't have one when I got it, just a breather vent on the valve covers. Do I need one? Will it help anything? I'm going to buy some bronco valve covers and was wondering if I should add the pcv valve. BTW - I have an edelbrock 4bbl carb.

Thanks!

JiM

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Yes you should. It gets rid of unburned fuel and moisture in the crankcase and can prevent oil leaks from excess pressure.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As mentioned, it should have one. The biggest issue is removing excess moisture. Byproduct of combustion is water. Rings do not seal perfectly, if they did we wouldn't need a breather. So a little combustion gasses get into the crankcase. Condense in the oil and contaminate it. It also gives a touch better mileage as the unburned blowby gets a second chance to be burned. There really isn't a good reason not to run one on a street engine. PCV in one valve cover, some form of breather in the other.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
If you don't have a pcv valve the fumes aren't actively getting removed. If you don't pull the fumes out I'd double up on the oil changes. It ends up being cheaper and better to put a pcv valve in.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I agree with everything above. Make sure the inlet side is filtered as it will be drawing more air through the engine and you don't want dust sucked in. Most stock systems have a hose that pulls filtered air from the airclean housing. I also cuts down on some nasty smells.

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
My 5.0L was smoking a bit after I got it running, which was odd because it was fine in the donor car. I discovered the PCV valve had popped out the lower intake when I installed the engine. Plugged it in and the smoke was gone. Without the PCV, it was building excessive crankcase pressure and forced the oil past the valve seals/rings.