• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

No power from gauge to fuel tank

oldfart

I just replaced my gauges and when I turn the key on the fuel gauge goes to beyond full.I tested the wire going to the sender and am getting no power.I hooked my tester to the "S" side of the gauge and am not getting any power to the sender wire.I am getting power in to the gauge but none coming out to go to the sender.Any ideas?

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
disc wire at switch .if trbl clears ,wire to tank grounded.if dual tanks,switch to other tank first.to eliminate tank.also check wireing at gauge cluster.this condition might cause gauge to burn up. 70 ohms from sender gauge reads empty...10 ohms from sender gauge reads full.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I just replaced my gauges and when I turn the key on the fuel gauge goes to beyond full.I tested the wire going to the sender and am getting no power.I hooked my tester to the "S" side of the gauge and am not getting any power to the sender wire.I am getting power in to the gauge but none coming out to go to the sender.Any ideas?

The fuel sender is attached to the ground side of the circuit. You definitely have a short to ground somewhere between the gauge and the fuel sender. Trace the harness along the frame and to the tank. It's common for dual exhaust to get too close to the harness and melt insulation.

Oh, and welcome to CB.

Darrel

Loc.
Henderson, Nv.
I'm a newbie also. I just "fixed" my gauge that was doing the same thing as yours. If you rewired something wrong like I did you might be getting direct feed to the gauge. I traced the ground wire from the switch to the tank and found that I had bypassed the orange wire from the rear tank when I disconnected the plug from the tail light circut as I rewired for trailer brakes. I jumpered the fuel tank orange lead back to the correct plug lead and had my gauge back.

Darrel