• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Tops

hughes26

Loc.
Simpsonville, SC
I just purchased a 1976 Bronco and i'm in the middle of going thru and redoing it. Does anyone have any suggestions on a way to have top easily removable? From the factory it has what seems like 100 bolts keeping it on. Once it have the Bronco painted I want the top to be removable but with out the hassle.
Also. Any suggestions on the wiper motor? This Bronco has a console/cover that covers the motor up. When the top is off can this stay on or will the wind catch it and mess it up?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I took my top off 4 or 5 years ago. I keep the bronco in the garage so there's really no need for me to put the top back on. Here's a thread on broncofix that may be helpful: http://www.broncofix.com/viewtopic.php?t=261593&highlight=nutserts

The wiper cover is open at the top so you won't want to use it without the top. If you get a soft or bikini top you'll want to flip the wiper motor so it sits lower and doesn't interfere with the top.

And welcome to CB.

marty

Loc.
massapequa, n.y.
i was thinking of purchasing those clamps they use on pickup truck caps. they seem like they are faster and easier. they may not look as nice but it would be a lot easier than removing the 100 bolts they use to hold the top down.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Welcome to the board Hughes... Grab a friend or two.. Shouldn't be that difficult to get off..

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
Nutserts will make it easier to detach the top from the body. I suppose you could find some quick release hardware or just not bolt in all of the bolts if you wanted to make that part of the process quicker.

There are several methods of top removal and storage.

1) the turtle - climb in back (probably want to remove the rear seat), squat down with your back against the roof, push up and waddle out

2) get some friends

3) mechanical friends - take a forklift or equivalent and lift the top off

4) rig a hoisting mechanism in your garage

I made myself a hoisting mechanism from 2 2x4s, 4 rope ratcheting pulleys, and some old tie down chains I had sitting around.

Screw eye bolts into ceiling joists, attach 2x4s going across the top at 2 points (I put one across the very front and close to the rear liftgage), attach hoisting mechanism to 2x4s.

I used a couple of bolts to attach the 2x4s to the top, just so it wouldn't slide around on the hoisting "frame". Eyebolts on the outside of the 2x4s. Attach rope ratchet or strap ratchet or even quick release straps (I didn't trust these myself) to the eyebolts on ceiling and eyebolts on 2x4s.

The trick with this method is not to use the rope/straps for hoisting, but to push up a corner with your shoulder/arm, tighten ratchet, and work your way around the top.

There are other methods to build the hoist. Mine cost under $50, but you could go with a better frame under the top, electric/manual winches to hoist - you get the idea.

I like the hoisting because it allows me to store the top out of the way. PM me if you want pics of my rig up, or search the forums, pretty sure there's a thread out there with people showing how they did it.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Nutserts will make it easier to detach the top from the body. I suppose you could find some quick release hardware or just not bolt in all of the bolts if you wanted to make that part of the process quicker.

1) the turtle - climb in back (probably want to remove the rear seat), squat down with your back against the roof, push up and waddle out

2) get some friends

I made myself a hoisting mechanism from 2 2x4s, 4 rope ratcheting pulleys, and some old tie down chains I had sitting around.

Screw eye bolts into ceiling joists, attach 2x4s going across the top at 2 points (I put one across the very front and close to the rear liftgage), attach hoisting mechanism to 2x4s.

I used a couple of bolts to attach the 2x4s to the top, just so it wouldn't slide around on the hoisting "frame". Eyebolts on the outside of the 2x4s. Attach rope ratchet or strap ratchet or even quick release straps (I didn't trust these myself) to the eyebolts on ceiling and eyebolts on 2x4s.

The trick with this method is not to use the rope/straps for hoisting, but to push up a corner with your shoulder/arm, tighten ratchet, and work your way around the top.

There are other methods to build the hoist. Mine cost under $50, but you could go with a better frame under the top, electric/manual winches to hoist - you get the idea.

I like the hoisting because it allows me to store the top out of the way. PM me if you want pics of my rig up, or search the forums, pretty sure there's a thread out there with people showing how they did it.

Good tips, I went with #4 but I just used sections of chain and four "S" hooks from the ceiling to the 2x4s. This allowed me to lift each corner and easily secure it to the chain, then just move to next corner. A couple times around and the top is up and out of the way enough so that I can park under it. It helps to leave the 2x4's long enough to extend a foot or so out on the sides to give you a lifting handle.

olbronclover

Loc.
Brighton, CO

2) get some friends

I went with option 3) Man that was easy;D And easy to put back on!:cool:

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
Good tips, I went with #4 but I just used sections of chain and four "S" hooks from the ceiling to the 2x4s. This allowed me to lift each corner and easily secure it to the chain, then just move to next corner. A couple times around and the top is up and out of the way enough so that I can park under it. It helps to leave the 2x4's long enough to extend a foot or so out on the sides to give you a lifting handle.

Ya I was kinda dumb about the hoisting cables, chains would have been better (and cheaper). I didn't figure out the hand lifting thing until I actually went to lift it up.

I did use chains once I got it up, since I don't trust the ratchet mechanism (even though rated for 250 lbs ea) to hold a constant load.

Chains would be safer and likely easier to lower than ratcheting pulleys. Maybe I'll just switch out to chains next time I take it down.

theshadow

To make things easier, I leave out a couple of the bolts up at the windshield frame where they are prone to swear words to get out ( the ones that are almost inside the wiper motor) I even rolled the Bronco and the missing bolts didnt seem to be a problem

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
For those of you that ratchet the top up to the ceiling, how do you get it down without it crashing down on you?

Dave

I plan (hehe) to get up on a ladder, release the ratchet while holding the corner. Repeat until down.

Then when it goes back up, I'm replacing the ratchets with chains (hattip Viperwolf).

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Once you see how much less it leans in curves and corners without the hard top on, you will want to switch to a cloth top.

70 sport WA

For those of you that ratchet the top up to the ceiling, how do you get it down without it crashing down on you?

I put two eye bolts in each corner ( several inches apart) and use a total of 8 ratchet straps. At least one strap is always holding at corner. Also helps with control of the top coming on and off, especially with those corner stakes in back.