• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Harmonic Balancer Wiggle??

67bondobronc

I have had ongoing numerous problems with getting my stock 302 running right. After doing everything under the sun I was leaning into the engine compartment and happened to grab my harmonic balancer and I could wiggle it back and forth. This is a problem, right? It is bolted on tight and torqued down so I know that is good. I am thinking that if I can wiggle it with my hand then this could cause some problems when trying to get it running smoothly. Any thoughts?

Thanks as always.

Rockin69er

Sounds like the rubber between the 2 pieces has come apart. This would give you false readings when trying to use a timing light. If you can wiggle it by hand I would change it out ASAP.

theshadow

yep, needs a new balancer, this happened to my 71 a few years ago, i have one for sale if youre interested PM me