• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

H Block

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
Just got my ebay (horsepower sales) disc brake conversion kit! So, tomorrow is "upgrade brakes day". I'm putting in a new MC, and replacing the hard lines from the MC to the H Block. My question is...does anyone know the port sizes on the H block? I don't know if they are actually called "ports" but you get my drift! ;D I don't want to have to go back and forth from the parts store trying to figure out what size fittings/adapters I need.
TIA!
ps
i'm changing out the wheel bearings, too. anything else y'all would suggest while i've got everything apart?

OP
OP
73AnneBoleyn

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
i was afraid someone would say that. dadgum it's tight in there! plus, one of the lines is slightly rounded off at the h block. don't ask how i know.%) :p

OP
OP
73AnneBoleyn

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
not to be a nay-sayer, but it's really really tight down there. hardly room for my hand, let alone vise-grips. other ideas?

OP
OP
73AnneBoleyn

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
yep, long headers. let's see, the one rounding off is...hmmm...i can't remember which side of the master cylinder it goes to. it's the nut on the forward part of the h block. i'll break out the flare wrenches tomorrow and soak in pb blaster.

lasadoor

Loc.
San Diego
i tried to change out the lines from the MC and had trouble removing the lower "nuts" if Anneboleyn's problem is solved let us know.

Hoppy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gresham, OR
cut the old line off
remove H block from bronco
use an easy out to remove stripped fittiing
take H b;lock to Napa and get new fittings and or lines

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I think they're 3/8"s? at least thats what I used to get rid of my H block. I went with a simple junction and fittings to mate the lines together. pretty simple.

Hate to suggest it but there's lot's 'O' room if you take the header off...

Bucky

Loc.
New Bern, NC
Good Luck! I think I was at the Parts Store 5 Times while doing my brake lines!! Just remember it will be worth it!!!

Recko555

when switching to disc brakes, I thought one had to put a proportional valve in instead of the H-block. That is what I did.

tasthree

Loc.
western NC
If its not to late I just went thru the exact same thing with long headers on the rearward inboard nut.Even with a flair nut wrench it started to round.I soaked it with PB then removed the H block mounting bolt so I could move the H block to get a better angle at it.From the wheelwell I used a adjustable wrench to hold the H block and used the flair wrench on the nut to break it loose.As far as the port size the inboard sides(for the front) is smaller than the outboard side.Also I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the reason I was working on it is I had done the Chevy disc conversion a few months ago leaving the H block alone.While wheeling a couple weeks ago I broke a outer axle shaft at the yoke ear which ended up knocking the upper and lower ball joints out and breaking my LF brake line.I lost all brakes because the safty plunger thingy in the H block was froze up.I had a combination valve on hand so I removed the H block and installed it.I know its a pain but you should consider installing a combination valve or at least remove the H block and clean it with brake cleaner.Out of curiosity I tried to take my H block apart.I could get the plunger to rotate but could never get it to come out.I even tried putting the air hose to it.Not knowing if its supposed to come out and the fact that I wasn't going to use it I gave up and put it in the parts box.Good luck!

OP
OP
73AnneBoleyn

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
didn't get a chance to work on the lines this weekend; friends in town for the fourth. i've got the brakes changed out, now i get to wrap up the brake lines and mc swap tomorrow.
tashthree, i like your moves. i'm gonna remove the h block and work it at a better angle. i may just cut the dang lines and remove the thing, since i've got to figure out what brake lines i need to fit into the h block and the new camper special mc. none of the lines at autozone fit into the new mc. pain in the arse.
but, on a happier note, this should be wrapped up by tomorrow evening!

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Go to a REAL parts store, like napa or carquest, they can get you the right lines with the correct fittings, or at least the fittings, so you can make your own lines.