• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Warn premium hub install

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
Having a hell of a time installing a new set of hubs(warn Premiun #20990). Searched the forum and found that the spring is to be left out, which is good as I could not get the assembly to compress enough to drop in the retaining ring that holds it in.

Reassembled everything tonight and cannot get the hubs to engage the axle. Turned the hubs locks every combination and still nothing.

Ideas????

Scrapper_MV

Have you converted to chebby brakes or put on new rotors? When I did my brake conversion it came with cheap chinese rotors/hubs. The hubs were manufactured vary poorly and would not let the locking ring slide back and fourth because they were too tight. I had to send them back twice to get a pair that worked. Just a thought..........

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
I just finished this project so here's what's at the top of my mind for your problem.

Are you able to rotate the top half of the hub from free to lock and back? If yes, try putting the two halves together with the allen head bolts and see if you can rotate the hub with the hub assembled but out of the rotor.

If yes, then we know the problem isn't your hubs.

Try removing the hubs and turning the driveshaft - does the axle move? If yes, then you know the problem is somewhere in rotor/spindle.

Are you able to insert the hubs fully? If no, then there's likely something wrong with your spindle/hub rotor parts or assembly.

Recheck your assembly, it should be (from axle):

axle, spindle, shield/caliper mount, rotor, hub

spindle has a rear seal, rear spacer, rear bearing.

when you install the spindle/caliper mount, is the spindle flush against the knuckle and the mount flush against the spindle? if not, you probably have a spacer problem or the mount is butting up against the knuckle.

the rotor assembly should be: rear cap, rear bearing, front bearing (yes they are different sizes), front cap/shield (spindle nut w/index lock (mine was just a raised bump, diagram shows a little pin), spindle lock washer, spindle nut w/o index lock.

At this point, if you're sure you have the assembly right, then seems to me the only answer left is wrong part in there somewhere.

OP
OP
NC-Fordguy

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
I drove the vehicle into my garage with front wheel drive using the original ford hubs, so I don't see where an issue would lie with the spindle, locking nuts etc. The Ford hubs have gotten progressively worn out, sometimes needing to be turned with pliers. Looking at the original ford/spicer hubs I could see alot of wear on the mechanism, so I bought a set of warns to replace them with.

I have a 74 model that has been converted to a Ford disk brake system by the PO.