• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

chevy disc swap using Ford spindles?

4x4Alaska

Loc.
Wasilla, Alaska
I just saw mention in the classifieds of someone using Ford drum spindles with the chevy disc swap. This is the first I"ve heard of this...anyone else heard this before?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Never heard of it. Doubt that it is possible. If it was, it would be fairly common knowledge in the EB community by now.

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
no it is not possible. if it were, i wouldn't have grease under my nails and cuts and scratches all over my hands right now.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I just saw mention in the classifieds of someone using Ford drum spindles with the chevy disc swap. This is the first I"ve heard of this...anyone else heard this before?

Can you get any details on the spindles used? Maybe there was some other swapping going on.

theshadow

351Boss has done this swap without the chevy spindles, just using the Ford spindles, i dont know who in the classifieds you are talking about, is it the same guy you are speaking of?

ohpoo2

Contributor
I think some sold a spacer to bring the spindle out some to get the nuts on. I dont think it safe.

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
There used to be a spacer that allowed use of stock ford spindles. I think complete offroad used to sell them. Not enough interest in them however so they quit making them.

Boss351

Loc.
Foxboro
Space out the rotor a eighth of an inch theres still enough room for the nuts and it's still safe. Not only does the outer spindle nut lock the mess together but the inner one does as well.when installed properly its perfectly safe.I have 2 race trucks and a driver with this stall on them.Keep it simple. I spent three days figuring out how to make all my junk work I saved parts off of every front axle I came a cross and every thing was wrong.This worked the best for me hope it helps.Keep it simple. ISF front axles on the newer stuff are the same six bolt pattern splindle, I haven't gotten a chance to check them out and see if they will work yet.Rob 508 962 0972

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Is this done with a spacer between the spindle and knuckle?

dieselracer

Loc.
Citrus Heights, CA
I held up my Chevy spindle to my drum brake Ford spindle and the only difference, is that the Chevy one is about 1/8" longer to make up for the thicker backing plate so the rotor doesn't rub on it. I think the drum brake backing plate is 1/8" and the disk backing plate is 1/4" You could probably make it work. But why mess with it when there are broken chevys around every corner. I believe you can also use 10 bolt spindles as long as long as they are small bearing.

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
when 99.9% of the crowd says to go with chevy spindles, there's probably a reason. probably also a reason that the kits include spindles and not spacers.