• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Thoughts about Dash Gauge Mods Needed

High Pressure

Loc.
Charleston, SC
Here are some recent photos of modifications & future thoughts for the Bronco dash. I welded patch panels in the original gauge hole and PO radio hole locations. In addition I removed & patch the ash tray/speaker grill locations. I have been driving the Cummins 4bt for a while with only a water temp, oil pressure and tach gauges for several hundred miles. The current thinking is to mount the new speed o, water temp, fuel, oil press, and volts gauges to the left of the steering wheel. With the remaining Trans temp, Boost and Pyro to be mounted above the ignition switch. The tach is mounted to the column. I have planned for the 9 rocker switches to handle all current switch requirements (plus 2 spare) except for the ignition. The dash will still have enough available space for a radio.

Your thoughts about the gauge locations would be greatly appreciated!! I have spent so much time preparing the dash for the gauges... I'm very hesitant to recut it!

Attachments

• IMG_2039_resized.jpg
    IMG_2039_resized.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2084_resized.jpg
    IMG_2084_resized.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2087_resized.jpg
    IMG_2087_resized.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 103
OP
OP
H

High Pressure

Loc.
Charleston, SC
I failed to mention the dash lights. I have (2) green 5/16 diameter panel lights to be used for the turn signals along with a red 5/16 diameter panel light for a bright head light indicator. The thought is to dash mount the turn signal indicator lights to the left & right sides of the column.

Rockin69er

Looks great to me. Wish I had done more to mine. All I did was the glove box flip in the tech section and patch the ashtray hole for small (1.5") volt, oil press and water temp qauges. Yours looks well thought out.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Looks nice. Do you think you'll be able to see the bottom right gauge that will be below the large center speedo? That looks like your view might be blocked by the steering wheel.

Always a good idea to tape those locations and mock up the dash back in the rig so you can get an idea of viewing angles.

Good luck!

Bucky

Loc.
New Bern, NC
x2! Looks Great!! Guess you don't need a Stereo with the sound of a Cummins in the Background!

OP
OP
H

High Pressure

Loc.
Charleston, SC
Looks nice. Do you think you'll be able to see the bottom right gauge that will be below the large center speedo? That looks like your view might be blocked by the steering wheel.

Always a good idea to tape those locations and mock up the dash back in the rig so you can get an idea of viewing angles.

Good luck!

Good point... I guess I could move a "lower of importance" gauge to that location... like the Volts gauge..

Danger

Loc.
Horseshoe Bay, TX
Not sure if you have a cage or not, but you might be blocking the voltage and fuel gauge to the left of the column with the bar if you do.

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
Good point... I guess I could move a "lower of importance" gauge to that location... like the Volts gauge..

I put my voltage gauge in the lower right below the speedo (fuel level to the left below the speedo)

In order to fit the gauges the way you are showing, they'll spread out a little wider than what I ended up with.

Attachments

• 042008 Speedo Cluster 2.jpg
    042008 Speedo Cluster 2.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 042008 Dash layout 2.jpg
    042008 Dash layout 2.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 042008 Center Gauges Pass side.jpg
    042008 Center Gauges Pass side.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 042008 Dash layout 3.jpg
    042008 Dash layout 3.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
H

High Pressure

Loc.
Charleston, SC
Cut the gauge holes & rocker switch hole

I had to move 2 of the gauges down to clear the defrost ducting. Still need to drill (3) holes for the turn indicators and high beam indicator. Should receive led indicator lights on Tuesday and then the wiring starts.

Attachments

• IMG_2094_resized.jpg
    IMG_2094_resized.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2095_resize.jpg
    IMG_2095_resize.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 36

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Looks good, hope to get mine mounted up this week! I ended up cutting the center out of my dash and then having a 2 piece panel that splits at the column laser cut with everything where I wanted it.

The sound of the turbo spinning up is awesome! That was one of my favorite parts of swa0330's Diesel Bronco.