• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Axle seal

jcastellaw1

Loc.
Covington
I installed an axle seal a while back and it is still leaking. This is the second one I have installed.
Any tricks or ideas????

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Stock 9" with the sealed bearins and the axle seal inside of the axle bearing?

If it is leaking there are only a few options. The axle is too damaged and destroying the new seal. The bore is damaged (scratched/gouged) and the seal isn't sealing in the bore. Or you are still working the gear oil out of the bearing. My guess is #2, the gouged housing. The fix is chemistery. Some anarobic sealer would be good for this application (NOT RTV). A rough axle is usually a lost cause, but you may be able to get it cleaned up.

I could also mention a bent axle housing, but one that is bent that bad generally won't let you get the axle in and out due to the splines binding. That would mis-center the axle in the seal.