• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which 351W oil pan would you use?

mattt

Bronco Guru
I'm going to run a '94 351W, F4TE roller block. The oil pan that is currently on the engine has no dipstick, and is what I think a rear sump(see pic). The dipstick is in the block. I picked up one of the FMS dual sump oil pans that has a dipstick in it. What have others done with the dipstick location that enters the block?

I have both of these pans.....one that is on the engine currently, and the double sump that I bought that is not installed yet. I could use either. Using the existing would be easier because I won't have to plug the block dipstick location.

Current.....in the pic

Option......in the link

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=1671

Attachments

• Picture 123676.jpg
    Picture 123676.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

Hoppy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gresham, OR
there is a plug you can get that will plug the old dipstick tube in the timing cover
Was the old pan a front sump? I'd just use the one that cam with the pan. Make shure you get the correct pick up tube that goes with the pan. It should be a rear pick up.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
The existing dipstick does not go in the timing cover. It is in the block itself. The existing pan is a rear sump. The correct pickup came with the dual sump pan.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I drilled one out and tapped it for an 1/8" pipe thread plug. But that was a bare engine block and didn't really have to worry about metal chips.

I have known others who have used a welch plug (baby freeze plug) to plug the hole. The same as the press in oil galley plugs behind the timing chain only a little smaller. Great way to plug it on a whole engine. Don't remember thw size but the local boondocks old school NAPA had them in stock.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
One other option.....keep the rear sump pan in place. Use the existing dipstick. Anyone running a 351W with rear sump pan? Seems like most people run the dual sump pan....

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I run that pan. It needs a little clearance to work. Mine was clearanced by botteming the front suspension, then putting good bump stops on it.

Other then that it has worked real good.

Attachments

• P1010019.jpg
    P1010019.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 86
OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
Movin this thread up....

Which pan do you, or would you use for a 351W?

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
The rear sump pan is a good choice if you're moving the front axle forward a bit; however, you'll hit it if you keep the front axle in the stock location.

If keeping it in the stock location, go with the dual sump pan and pick-up.

I think I used one of the rubber drain plugs to fill the block hole, pretty sure I got it from the local Big R.
Joe

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
I plugged my hole with a bolt that just fit and some black silicone...no problems. But that stick in the pan is a PIA and leaks. I went with it because someone told me that the double sump pan would hit the Diff...but after I installed the front sump (complete with leaking dip stick in the side) I have been told that the double sump would not hit since I have a 5.5" lift and the long bump stops. I am not sure if this is correct or not, but it looks so far away I can't believe it could hit on compression. I sure would like to get rid of that stock pan with the leaking dip stick!

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
Thanks everyone for the advice. I guess I'll drop the rear sump pan that is on there now and move over to the dual sump since I'm not planning on moving the front axle forward. Hopefully those dipstick leaks are something I can avoid!! Hate oil leaks.

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Reviving this thread. I have the '95 351W with the dipstick in the block. Looking for the best oil pan option as well as what others have had luck with plugging the original hole in the block? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0673.jpg
    IMG_0673.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0684.jpg
    IMG_0684.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 53
OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
I ended up using the dual sump pan and plugged the block hole with an 1/8" mpt pipe plug. The hole didn't require any drilling, just the thread tap.

So far, my pan mounted dip stick has not leaked, but I keep an eye on it since so many people have a problem with it leaking. Now, getting that dip stick to work and clear the headers was a whole-nother story. I spent a lot of time, re-bending the dipstick tube & it's mount bracket so it cleared. Also had to take quite a bit of material off the mount bracket so it would bolt to a header bolt. The dipstick tube on my FMS dual sump pan, was pointing backwards(towards firewall), and had all sorts of funky bends in it.

What I found out later from Ford Motorsport tech line was that I could have kept the block mounted dipstick with the dual sump pan. They told me the 351w dipstick measures the same regardless of location and which pan I used. The only thing he did say was to make sure the block mounted stick didn't interfere on the inside with the dual sump pan, but he thought it would work.

I have never verified this as they will not come off unless the engine is out, but a 351w Crown Vic(late 80's-early 90's) has the FMS dual sump pan. I occasionally run across these walking junkyards(saw one last week actually), but never pulled one. This same car also has the factory thermstatically controlled air over stacked plate oil cooler. Got one of those, but have never plumbed it in.

Amac70

ME
I just used the stock pan and a stock dipstick tube for the block, picked it up at a ford dealer was 40 bucks if i recall, did not come with a dipstick. the stock tube hugs block pretty good and with a little finesse it will snake through the headers. and bolts down to the valve cover bolt to hold it down.

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Amac, I found a better picture of my pan. I know you have a similar set up as mine with the HP D44. Is this the same pan you are running? Seems like I am finding 2 different styles, mine being the one with less clearance.

Attachments

• IMG_0960.jpg
    IMG_0960.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 42

bk005

Loc.
San Antonio
Really wish I would have read this thread before I spent hours prepping / blasting and painting my rear sump pan. Crap.

I think I will pick up that pan from summit, if the thru block stick will clear that pan, I will weld up the pan, if not will stay with whati it is.