• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Intervention advice needed - my C4 is belimic

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Its finally been nice this weekend (85 and humid) so I had the truck out Friday and yesterday for a total of about 100 miles or so. Last night I notice the temps creeping up past 210 which is really rare for me. Temp got to 230 and I pulled over and noticed my transmission puking fluid.

Current setup:

351W, fairly stock
C4
Stock copper radiator (transmission lines run through the radiator)
Steel fan shroud
Fixed Fan
Cut inner fenders
Long tube headers
195 Thermostat

It stays cool while driving so Im thinking my idle may be a bit low (about 800rpm) but what else can I check?

How can I know if my radiator is working efficiently? I flushed it earlier this spring and it hasn't overflowed since. I have a 50/50 mix of water to antifreeze with a few drop of dish soap.

I've also got a stacked plate transmission cooler on the workbench if necessary.

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
Add the stacked plate cooler to the tranny cooler lines after the radiator. Keeping the tranny cool will help and prolong it's life. The through radiator cooler is inadequate alone for most modified broncos.
The temps you mention are those trans or engine temps?
The C4's seem to be notorious for puking fluid most people extend the vent in a hose up to the firewall or someplace higher. I even run a catch can at the end of mine that allows it to drain back on its own, they seem to puke a lot in offroad conditions.

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Add the stacked plate cooler to the tranny cooler lines after the radiator. Keeping the tranny cool will help and prolong it's life. The through radiator cooler is inadequate alone for most modified broncos.
The temps you mention are those trans or engine temps?
The C4's seem to be notorious for puking fluid most people extend the vent in a hose up to the firewall or someplace higher. I even run a catch can at the end of mine that allows it to drain back on its own, they seem to puke a lot in offroad conditions.

The temps quoted are engine temps, I dont have a guage for the C4.

Anyone got any pics of their stacked plate install? I've never done anything like this and I'm not up to speed on what would be required.

The hard line coming from the bottom of the radiator would be the return line, correct? So I would need to place the cooler somewhere in that line, but how? The lines that are on the bronco now seem very small compared to what fittings would be required on the cooler.

Gotta run but I'll post some pics later.