• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

advice about what to do about roof rust

rawill

Loc.
Russellville
What suggestions would you guys have on dealing with rust on the interior of a hard top? Also does anyone have a suggestion on how to bend the head liner rails/cross braces back into place. Thanks in advance.

roof-rust.JPG

Phoenix0783

how bad is the rust? i had to make some patch panels for the sides on mine but that was easy because the sides are flat.

when i fixed the cross braces i used an acetylene torch and a wet rag to heat shrink it and a hammer for that last little bit. if you do this be careful to not put a bunch of hammer size dents in the roof skin.

Red steed

Loc.
Taylorsville N.C.
Drill the spot welds out on the cross braces at the outer ends and take them out and fix them while you have them out. Then you can weld or bolt (early ones were bolted in)them back in. Also it will make it easy to fix the rust while you have them out.

Mikey

Bronco Guru
Mine were bent like that and I just used a body hammer to tap them back into place. You can use a large steel or brass punch to get it up against the roof so you don't slip off.

Then, run a bead of high quality RTV windshield adhesive (the kind that comes in a big caulking tube) along the flat places....the whole length. Take a jack with a piece of wood and jam the brace tight against the roof (place it in the center of the rail) and let it cure. Do both rails, obviously. This will eliminate the loud popping in the wind, and still be flexible enough to not come un-done. The tube of adhesive cost around $15 but it will hold just fine as it's designed to hold in a large piece of glass.

Hope this helps!
Mikey