• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Vent window repair pin

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I purchased some vent window repair pins due to mine being rusted severly. I was wondering what steps are required for the repair and did the window function correctly and hold open at 60mph once repaired. Is the repair worth it or should I just leave it closed and not worry with it?

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
If by repair pin you are referring to the bottom pivot bolt that has the spring tensioner on it, I have replaced these by removing the entire assembly (window and metal border), removing the glass from the metal border, and welding the new bolt in place. The one I repaired works as good as it did originally.....which depends on how much tension you put on the spring, but generally they stay open ok. Good luck.

OP
OP
rjrobin2002

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
window

When you removed your glass, what was involved and did you have to replace the seal between the frame and the glass or were you able to re-use the current one?

BroncoMark

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Irvine CA
I thrashed the sealing tape when I removed my glass, but I just took it to a glass shop and they resealed the glass for $25. It takes some type of sealing tape rather than a seal.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The rubber tape in mine was ok so I just cleaned it up and added a bead of silicone. Good as new now 10 years later.

moneypit77

Loc.
forks, WA
I thought it was a fairly simple project but I wasnt trying to save anything I had all new weatherstriping and it was going to to the paint shopso I didnt have to be careful. KC

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Where/ what did you guys source the springs from? I believe I still have the old ones but they are toast. I guess I need to stop in at my local uber-hardware thats a fraction of the size of a home store with 2x more selection and see what they have thats close....finally got the last of the glass installed in the channel this am.

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
I used the old rubber and some of that black silicone on mine, that is what the glass guy recommended. Worked great!