• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need advice on what to do???

Mill KNOB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rock Hill, SC
I am in the middle of replacing my passanger side kick panel, inner fender,and wheel well. Onces i get every thing welded in place i wanted to take and paint POR15 on all the new kick pannel,inner fender,and wheel well.. So pretty much take bare metal and put POR15 all over... Instead of primer and paint just put POR15 on it and ride... So i would like to have some feed back on this please... ;D

bosshoff

Contributor
That is fine. You have to be really sure to stricktly follow the prep instructions. Degrease, degrease, degrease. Use a scrub brush, tons of Marine Clean, elbow grease etc. The only problem I see you running into is having the POR stick to the clean metal. The Metal Ready should give the POR enough to bite onto (into?). I would top coat the POR with something else, (Krylon at a minimum). I have used POR, and I have used KBS Coatings. KBS is sold by a former rep of POR. I like the finish of the KBS much better. It is more UV stable, and flows out smooth and glossy, not flat. I think there is a promo code in the vendors forum for a discount. Like I said, I like the stuff better. YMMV.

OP
OP
Mill KNOB

Mill KNOB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rock Hill, SC
That is fine. You have to be really sure to stricktly follow the prep instructions. Degrease, degrease, degrease. Use a scrub brush, tons of Marine Clean, elbow grease etc. The only problem I see you running into is having the POR stick to the clean metal. The Metal Ready should give the POR enough to bite onto (into?). I would top coat the POR with something else, (Krylon at a minimum). I have used POR, and I have used KBS Coatings. KBS is sold by a former rep of POR. I like the finish of the KBS much better. It is more UV stable, and flows out smooth and glossy, not flat. I think there is a promo code in the vendors forum for a discount. Like I said, I like the stuff better. YMMV.

So the KBS is better then the POR15???? How is the prep for it????? Is it stricktly like POR15?? I am open for any thing... I just do not want to take it to a body shop and pay out the butt to have it primer and painted.... I would like to hear what other people done.....;D Plus thanks bosshoff

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Something to remember is POR stands for Paint Over Rust not paint over clean new metal.
If you are not painting over rusted metal, you need to prep the heck out of it to get POR to stick well. Another options is to sand it down, spray some water on it and let it get some surface rust before using POR. If you call POR directly they will give you advise.

You may want to consider painting it with automotive primer and paint.

Also note that the POR will fade to a chalky gray if you don't top coat it.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I have used the por 15. It's ok. But I would put an epoxy sealer on clean metal first.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I used POR15 in my engine compartment and gave it a top coat of semi gloss black. So far it has held up well. You'll have to give the bare metal several coats of POR.

Attachments

• Bronco 010.jpg
    Bronco 010.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 27