• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

installing new motor mounts?

KJHill

Contributor
Loc.
Central WA
My motor mounts are toast, so I got the cool Monster Motor Mounts from Wild Horses. Will I be able to jack up my motor enough to install these? I assume I'll need to loosen the bolts for the trans & cross member. Any thoughts?

BroncoMark

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Irvine CA
I got some from Ebay. I think it was Driven 4x4. If they are the same ones, they were a bitch. Loosen up the trans mount may help. Take the through bolt out of the mounts and try to get them installed in two pieces, then get the bolt through. That's what worked best for me.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I did not loosen my tranny mounts, but did jack up the engine pretty far from below. I still had to pound one of them in with a dowel. They were a pain to get in. I didn't actually think about loosening the tranny mounts at the time.

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
I have the ones from West Coast Bronco. Not a real problem. IIRC I replaced one side at a time so as I jacked up the motor it pivoted on the other motor mount and t-case mount. I think I loosened the other mount up so the bolt would go to the top of the slot as it was pivoting.

Some people told me it was going to be a pain, but it was only a few hour job for me.

Plan the work, work the plan!

Dan

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I remember taking mine apart to get them in easier. that was a long time ago. Still work perfect to this day.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I did this on my '68 LTD 390... Jacked up the engine as far as needed, replaced the mounts. Done. It took ~2 or 3 hours.

Edit: I forgot to mention both mounts were broken, no need to loosen bolts to lift the engine, but that became obvious as I got into it.