• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Will a new air filter cause carburetor problems?

broncorican

Loc.
Caguas, Puerto Rico
About a week ago I was having timing problems. I replaced my plugs, wires, rotor and cap. Set timing at 12* and carb was at 3.75 turns out and rpm at 650 rpm. It was running great. I mean great, it idled steady and when I hit the gas it roared. By the way, my 74 Bronco has a 302, (rebuilt at cut to .40.) electronic ignition, 2 b carb (2150), auto trans. I replaced the vacuum hoses. This week I removed and had the PS box rebuilt because it was leaking. While it was down I decided to change the oil and new air filter. PS box is back on and now my carb is acting up. I took it for a ride, was going to bring a case of beer to my mechanic, when it started acting up. While idling, it stalled at the traffic light. When I cranked it up, smoke started coming out from under the hood and it would not start. Finally it did and it was missing and backfiring. What the hell is going on? Will changing the air filter cause my carb to act up? It is a cheap filter my friend gave it to me, but just when I think I’m going to enjoy my Bronco, I’m disappointed again. Does anyone know what could have gone? Can it be the air filter? I’ve been reading just about ever thread I can. I’m not a mechanic and will ask dumb questions, so I apologize in advance. Thanks for taking time to assist others.
Ed

gjrock

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Anacortes,WA
The air filter should not cause the carb to act up unlees it is very clogged.Check the vacuum lines on the carb.How does it run without the air filter?

OP
OP
broncorican

broncorican

Loc.
Caguas, Puerto Rico
It runs just as bad without it. The filter is new. Maybe it was running great because the old filter was old and clogged?
The smoke was like a white cloud. While I was trying to start it, someone said that it appeared to be flooded. But, why would it continue to flood? When it idles, on drive, for about five minutes it starts to choke and then shuts off. It seems as is flooding, but why? It was okay a week ago and it was just sitting in my garage for a week. My wife is trying to keep me calm because I've spent over $7K in repairs and I'm still pumping $$$. Thanks guys.

OP
OP
broncorican

broncorican

Loc.
Caguas, Puerto Rico
I will pull the plugs now and check them.
The choke does not appear to be stuck. I just turned it on, it was cold and it was idling fine. Once it warmed a bit (less than 2 minutes), I think the choke went off and the idling was not as smooth. Thanks..

OP
OP
broncorican

broncorican

Loc.
Caguas, Puerto Rico
Ok, after checking it all (plugs, wires, dist cap, timing, RPM,) and driving around without a filter, and thinking it was in my fuel system, it turned out to be my coil. Found one laying around, spliced the wires and bingo.. Back to normal..Now I have to get one that plugs into my system. Thanks guys, until next week when something else will have us scratching our heads.
Ed

nrramse

I feel your pain Ed. I've had a series of engine problems in the past 2 years and I often wondered if they were carb issues, but all ended up being ignition.

I wish I had a dash mount dwell meter because I think it would help quickly narrow down problems, but I haven't had any luck finding one. It might be worth another thread.

Newell

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
just a head's up for next time, you want to change your filter before you tune your carb. otherwise, you're tuning the carb to run properly at less than optimal air flow.