• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Throttle Cable Frayed

Broncojoe1972

Loc.
Toney
I purchased this throttle cable from one of the Bronco suppliers. I thought I installed it correctly, however, after a weekend of wheeling, I noticed the cable was frayed. Did I do something wrong or not do something I should have? I installed this thing last week and it's already in this shape. The cable works great, I'm just a little concerned it will break.

Attachments

• 100_1194.jpg
    100_1194.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 100_1193.jpg
    100_1193.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 75

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
There is nothing wrong with the cable (or there wasn't.) Its how the part that ran thru the firewall was mounted. I noticed that when we were doing the centech(unless you have changed it). The cable was rubbing b/c the upper part was not in line the the gas pedal. I think I told you that is wouldn't last long like that.....If not....btw it won't last long.

OP
OP
Broncojoe1972

Broncojoe1972

Loc.
Toney
I purchased a new cable last week and put it in Thursday - so this was a brand new cable. I'll see if I can't take some clearer pictures and repost.

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
Is this cable on a 2bbl carb? It looks like it is. I have been wanting to go to a cable throttle as well, but was told they dont make a bracket for the 2bbl yet. Can you PM me who you got it from?

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
Yes it's on a Ford 2 barrel. Joe got it from BC Broncos. We were going to try and put a stock bell crank setup on it but his hydro boost interferes with it. His first cable lasted several months and we had it installed wrong. This one is installed right, we think, and has only been on there a week.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
First, the bracket is not for a 2 barrel carb. We ar3e waiting for the report on the prototype now. The cable must come out of the center of the sheath or it will ware fast. The fraying may be casued by the allen screw or maybe the angle that the cable is be pulled at. At any rate it shouldn't be fraying.

OP
OP
Broncojoe1972

Broncojoe1972

Loc.
Toney
Here is a better picture of the cable fray. It's like the set screw only caught a couple of strands or something.

Attachments

• 100_1195.jpg
    100_1195.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 25
  • 100_1199.jpg
    100_1199.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 22