• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Looking at radiators. Do I want aluminum?

ryan_289

Loc.
Russellville, AR
I need to replace my radiator in my 76. I have seen some aluminum radiators on ebay going for around $200. I noticed that they are only 2 core radiators. Will that be sufficient? Or would I be better off just replacing my standard 3 core with a new 3 core? Who has the best deal?

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
I prefer aluminum. If you can fab your own mounts, the universal tru-kool radiators from speedway motors are great. And a great price too! $159.99

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/7347,34_Speedway-Tru-Kool-Aluminum-Radiators-FordandMopar.html

eb-trukool.jpg

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No personal experience with this , but , from the zillions of posts on this topic , it about 50/50.
One thing that stands out to me is the number of guys who have had aluminum develop small fractures on them do to the truck body flexing off road.
So ... how are you gonna drive it ?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'd stay with copper/brass nobody want to fix aluminum ones when you have problems Not to mention you usually have to do some fab work to install a aluminum one. While the copper ones cost a little more they are usually easier to fix. I I like BC's HD 3 row. You might want to check your local radiator shop they should be able to recore your current radiator for less than a new one.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Run a search on "aluminum radiators" and read on...

Radiator shops can't and will not fix leaking aluminum rads.. They'll try but won't warranty the work

65 mustang

Yes,it will be fine!The stock radiator has worked for 30+ years with little problems providing everything else is up to par! Scott

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
so street eb with 350-400hp on a 351w efi stock style 3 core or alum 2 core?

1 to 1, hp to cubes, that's pretty good for an EFI 351W...

I wouldn't consider buying another aluminum rad after my last experience with them. I'll use if it's free...

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I run BC's 3-core on both broncos with 351w's. For the record the 4-core radiators for the eb's like to spring leaks too.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Four cores actually inhibit air flow.
BC's HD copper triple pass solved my overheating probs on my stroked 351W.
The only advantage aluminum offers is weight savings, but on the other hand, their are many advantages to copper/brass.

greasypigeon

Loc.
Fort Bliss, Tx
I have been running a rod davis aluminum one for a few years and haven't had a problem, keeps my 347 at 200* in rush hour traffic. The only down side is that if and when this goes I have to replace it and not just fix it like a copper or brass one. If I had to rebuild it again I would go with a BC 3 core.

OP
OP
ryan_289

ryan_289

Loc.
Russellville, AR
I ordered a new 3 core from JBG. What is the best way to completley flush the block out before I put a new radiator on? Someone told me to drain it and put new water and cascade in it ad drive it around and then flush completley out with fresh water?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
OK since it looks like everyone missed a key part of the question...

Aluminium radiators are typically 1" thick cores
Copper radiators are typically 5/8" thick cores
So a 2 core aluminum has 2" of core and
3 core of copper has 15/8" (that's 1-7/8" of core thickness)

That puts the thickness meter at about a wash. Get even more technical and remove the leading and trailing edges and the 5/8" copper cores only have about 1/2" of contact with the fins. Then there is find design, fin count, and a tone of other little variables.

So a 2 row aluminium is about the same cooling as a 3 row copper, or maybe 4 rows, or maybe a little less...

With a good fan, a properly functioning shroud, either should do a decent job cooling your engine. Installed poorly, neither will do a good job.

Then we can jump all over the copper/aluminium debate as far as heat transfer rates, what solder does to those in copper radiators, fin count, multi pass, repairability, etc.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I had to flush out the 351 in the 66 to solve a cooling problem. I had the best results with one of those reverse flow kits you get from the local AP store. You plumb it into the line and hook the garden hose to it.