• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leaking front plastic gas tank

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Anybody know of a good product to patch the plactic tanks with? My tank has a small hole in the very top. No real fuel lose unless parked on an angle, but the fumes in the garage are a bit bothersome.

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
there are some products out there,but i have had no success with them.but my leaks were all on the rounded corners.mabe on flat top side it will work.got it from napa.dont recal the product though.surface needs to be very clean and ughed up.it is a black goop with fiber glass matting.

OP
OP
phred

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
What about this idea? Take a soldering iron and melt the crack hole closed. I'm just trying to think of a way to fix this w/o buy a new tank.
just waiting on someone to tell me I'm crazy.......

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
And if you cant find a nylon plug, just get a hose barb, cut off the barb, fill it with JB weld. the JB will stay in the nylon, and the pipe thread will make a decent seal with the tank.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
how big's the hole? I've "fixed" plastic tanks using a sheetmetal screw, with a little gasacinch (non hardening sealant, suitable for fuel exposure) applied under the head.

OP
OP
phred

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Well its more of a crack. +/- 1/4" long. I thought I had it fixed (I used an epoxy that is supposed to be fuel resistant and will ,should, bond to plastic) and when I filled the tank up it started leaking again unless of course there is anthor hole/crack that I didn't see. Now gotta take the tank back out. After I run that tank empty. At 8 mpg that want take long. LOL

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
the soldering idea is sorta how they plasti weld.but poly=propeline nothing likes to stick,thats why the are plasti-welded.just get a new tank.not cheap but you know it wont leak.

O C

I have used a sealant called Q Seal, that I use sealing saw cuts in concrete/asphalt when installing detector loops. I put some on my frnt tank 3 years ago and fixed all the cracks, splits and holes. The stuff is indestructable and stays flexible.I get it in tubes (1 qt ) from LIS Systems P O Box 1654 Athens TX 75751 1-800-964-0711. Tell J.R. that O C sent you. Great guy.Their min. is 2 tubes @ 17.10 ea.,but he may send one if you sweet talk him.If not PM me and I'll see if I can hook you up.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
doesn't POR15 make a gas tank internal clean and seal kit?