• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Welding Help "info"

gledhillt

Hi, everyone, I need some info. about welding. Is the weld of a MIG welder strong enough for a roll cage?

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I'll expand on that. Its more in the quality of the weld than the type of welder. Any welder can do the job if done properly.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
If your welder is rated to weld the material thickness that you are working with, and your technique is good (meaning good penetrating welds) then you should have no problem. Check your welder's specs for what it can do with a single pass and you'll get an idea. I don't imagine your tubing wall thickness is beyond the capability of your welder...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
What they said

There are several ways to weld metal and that are strong. MIG is one of them and is perfectly acceptable, if done right. It's not the amperage of the machine, it is the user who is doing the welding that is important.

ironhead

If your gonna use one of the 110 volt machines to weld it up. Just do 2 things,
1 clean the weld joints with a small grinder to get rid of the mill scale on the plate and tubing and 2 preheat the weld joints with a torch to about 150 degrees. With the mill scale gone and the metal preheated you will have a quality weld if your welding skills are up to par.