• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What's the trick to getting the Chrome strip Off the roof gutter?

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
O.K. Stainless Steel, but how to remove it without destroying it and being able to replace after paint?
Thanks
Reamer, "30 Spot welds closer to getting on the road"

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I would also like to know if anyone has any tricks. I have never tried it myself, but have seen people attempt it. The chrome always ends up so bent and twisted it is not re-usable. I have a hard top that is shot that has the chrome around the drip rail. It seems a shame to cut up the whole top if there is a way to safely remove the chrome.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
I had good luck using the smallest pry bar that comes in the screwdriver pry kits, using a good spacer on the roof and popping it off from underneath. You will still have to massage a few spots, but mine didn't twist.

tmacstickman

Let's hear it Guru's! What's the trick?

I have it on my 69, and the top needs some attention before paint in the spring.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
GOOD LUCK! i've tried on three tops and ended up kinking every one

Gud Racing

Bronco Guru
Be careful! work it from the bottom up. Take your time and you'll get it.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
well I can tell you what I did and it didn't work ..I used a .3 in. putty knife almost worked but when I got through they were warped ...I'm still wondering how to take it off.

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
I had luck taking some off starting at the overlap ends on the side's and lightly (very lightly or it will twist) rolled it up from the bottom. Not a full 360 roll, just enough to get the bottom edge to pass, and I went super slow.
The hardest parts for me was at the corner's, and thats where you need to us the most Patience, and not pull to hard or it will distort the metal.

Good luck!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Obviously iwlbcnu and regshawn should have been making a video presentation for the tech archives! Not too may are successful and it would be nice to see a success.
Maybe they just meant for them to be replaced with new after removal? I even had some door fuzzies on an old '60's Chevy that were pretty much sacrificial parts. To get them un-clipped, you pretty much had to destroy them completely!
Well, they LOOKED like they could un-clip. But once again, reality was different than fantasy.

Paul

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
Yes those aren't really meant to be reused, but I don't see whay they couldn't. Granted I never have yet, but they are still sitting in storage for that one day. I have a few raised edges to straighted where I caught the corner to much, but nothing major. I'll see if I can get pics.

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
Obviously iwlbcnu and regshawn should have been making a video presentation for the tech archives! Not too may are successful and it would be nice to see a success.
Paul

Making a video would of been cool except the camera adds like 80lbs! %) :-X
Also the set I removed was not all good, but a few pieces ended up being reusable, mostly did it for practice, the top was crap.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Making a video would of been cool except the camera adds like 80lbs! %) :-X
Also the set I removed was not all good, but a few pieces ended up being reusable, mostly did it for practice, the top was crap.

And that's why they have editing software! Makes everything look good (thnk, rose-colored-glasses) all the way around. Cut-and-Splice is now Cut-and-Paste baby!
You could be a Chrome-star!

Paul

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Do 65-66 Mustangs use a similarly shaped trim on the roof gutters? If so, the Auto Restorer magazine articles on restoration of a 67 Mustang by Larry Lyles seemed to indicate that there was trim removal tool for gutter trim. Lifted the trim from the bottom. I have not looked for it yet. But it may be worth a search among early Mustang types.

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This is part of that article to remove Mustang drip rail chrome.

Tools of the Trade

The tools required are quite simple; a rubber hammer and a block of wood for those attempting to remove and reuse the existing molding or a bottle cap remover for those of you that just want them off in a hurry. (pic 1)

The Salvage Approach

If you have some patients and a delicate hand you may be able to remove you molding without damaging them by using a rubber hammer and a block of wood.

Place the block of wood against the inside edge of the molding and give it a tap or two until it releases from the drip rail. Continue this procedure a few inches at a time and hopefully you will have a reusable piece. (pic 2)

The Progressive Approach

This is by far the easiest way to get a drip rail molding off. Use a bottle cap remover; its the same motion as removing a cap from a cold beer. Repeat the cap removal technique every couple inches and the molding will be off in no time and probably destroyed. (pic 3)

Attachments

• removal 1.jpg
    removal 1.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 15
  • removal 2.jpg
    removal 2.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 20
  • removal 3.jpg
    removal 3.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 18

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have also considered buying a few "church key" bottle openers. I considered taking two and tack welding them together. These would work better in the wider flat spots, while just one would better fit in the tight spots like the corners.

Another thought....is there is a "dip" type rubber coating that you can buy to dip the ends in to protect the chrome. I remember back in school shop class they has such a thing.

bushman_22

Loc.
Aloha, OR
I used to run 73-79 crewcabs. I removed quite a few of them using the bottle opener method. I was real careful because at that time that trim was irreplaceable. You have to be real slow and only lift each spot a little at a time. Moving down and lift another spot slightly and keep going over and over again and again. Never try to remove one section completely in one motion.

Bushman

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I read too that you should spray lube the trim like 2-3 times before you make the attempt. Anything to make it slip off easier I suppose. Just wish I could get it off so I wouldn't have to drive 6 hours one way to retrieve a set! :-[

Mono

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I read too that you should spray lube the trim like 2-3 times before you make the attempt. Anything to make it slip off easier I suppose. Just wish I could get it off so I wouldn't have to drive 6 hours one way to retrieve a set! :-[

You can have my top if you come get it.