• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

STC fast-track soft top(zip out windows) install

mattt

Bronco Guru
I read the instructions in the tech section for the soft top install. I was unsure on the first step of the install where it says to measure the distance from the windshield to the tailgate. I wasn't sure where to measure from on the windshield.....top, bottom, in the groove up top, or on the face up top, etc. So I went looking for other instructions online, and found this.......

http://www.thejeep.com/stc/instsheet/331210.pdf

Even though STC is out of biz, their instructions are still available online. The link for the zippered window fastrac installation doesn't seem to work, but the non zippered version still works.

Last edited:

rockbronco66

Loc.
Carlsbad, N.M.
mattt, I just installed one on my 66 last month I still have the instructions they are at home and I am at work I will try and send it to you today when I get home. I went from the top edge toward the inside of the Bronco to the top inside of the tailgate. I had to shim my old 66 quite a bit to make the required measurement which I can't remember right now. 84 inches I think. Measure both sides they will probably be different and if you are a little over on one side it will pull back some I hope this helps.

scotts77

Loc.
Marietta, GA
I wouldn't give that measurement a lot of thought. Mine measures 85" and fits well. If I had to go with the 83.75" my doors would hit my windshield frame.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I wouldn't give that measurement a lot of thought. Mine measures 85" and fits well. If I had to go with the 83.75" my doors would hit my windshield frame.

Agree. You just need to keep adjusting it until it fits right. Hardest part is getting the door frame to seal good. Don't be afraid to bend the STC framework a bit around the door and th part that attaches to the front bow.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
Something that is not addressed in the directions is whether to use the stock rubber seals that go in between the windshield & body & hardtop when installing the soft top. Do the stock seals get used on the sides or the windshield?

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
I have most of the hardware installed and ran into a speed bump of sorts. The instructions linked above are for the std. fast-track top install. I have the zip out windows top. What differences are there if any with the install?

One thing that I can't figure out.....the instructions show the horizontal rod(with the weather-stripping) going from the windshield frame brackets into the holes in the front bow. If I put the horizontal rod into the front bow hole, the angle is off to get the front of it in the windshield frame bracket.....like way off?!?!? And it seems a bit short to span from the windshield to the front bow, my 1st dimension was roughly 84 1/4" so I'm thinking the top will close this dimension. Does the rod end with the rubber boot on the end go ALL THE WAY into the front bow hole?

Another one,,,,the pics on the install instructions are really blurry......at which position in the bracket are the front and rear bows in the "locked" position? I'm assuming "locked" position is when the top is on?

scotts77

Loc.
Marietta, GA
Matt, see if these pics help at all..............The first pic is the bows in the locked position.
P1010069.jpg

P1010070.jpg

P1010071.jpg

P1010072.jpg

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the pics. Exactly what I needed to see on the bows.

I've ran into another problem on the horizontal and vertical bars around the doors. I drilled the hole in the door opening where the instructions said to, 5/8" forward, and 1 7/8" out if I remember correctly. The bars don't seem to be in the correct position because the doors don't want to close easily. On one side, it's very tight, but the door closes. On the other, the door doesn't want to close. A few questions.....

Should the vertical bar have a bend at the bottom?
How far down in the 3/8" hole should the vertical bar be going?

There may be a body issue(think bondo) on the door that will not close, but I'm not sure. Is there some way to get the bars to line up correctly with the doors now that the hole in the door opening is already drilled?

I've also got a problem where the horizontal bar doesn't span the distance from the windshield to the hole in the front bow. I think this will solve itself once I install the top as it will pull everything back into position. My measurement from windshield to tailgate was 84 1/8" on one side, and almost 84 1/2" on the other. However, the windshield frame will flex back when pushed on.

I'm most stumped on the vertical and horizontal bars not lining up correctly with the doors....... Ideas?

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
Should the vertical rod have this much bend at the bottom?

Another thing I noticed......where the horizontal and vertical bars meet, and the carriage bolt is located.....should that corner be a right angle, 90 degrees? On both sides of mine, it is slightly less than 90 degrees. There is a small step in the horizontal bar where the carriage pivot bolt is and I can tell it's not a straight up 90 degree joint.

Last pic shows where I drilled the hole in the door opening, matches the dimensions given in the instructions.

See anything wrong here?

I've never installed one of these before and these door frame rods are giving me troubles....

Attachments

• Picture 123819.jpg
    Picture 123819.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Picture 123820.jpg
    Picture 123820.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Picture 123821.jpg
    Picture 123821.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
Here are a few more showing the connection of the horizontal and vertical rods where the angle is less than 90 degrees....is that how it should be?

Also pictured is both sides where I drilled in the door opening.

Attachments

• Picture 123824.jpg
    Picture 123824.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Picture 123825.jpg
    Picture 123825.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Picture 123826.jpg
    Picture 123826.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 41
  • Picture 123827.jpg
    Picture 123827.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 51

Dan76

You might need to raise the bracket on top of the windshield frame,, use some washers or something between the frame and the bracket, I think my top was supplied with spacers.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
Is raising the windshield bracket done to provide clearance between the top of the door frame & the horizontal bar? I'm not seeing much of a problem there. I'm having more of a problem with the vertical bar being hit by the door/window frame when I try to close the door.

On another note.....in the tech section article on soft top install it looks like the vertical bar is touching the back of the door opening, and on mine it is clearly not. I drilled at the prescribed location, I've triple checked my dimensions. Any ideas? Bend in the bottom of the rod?

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Is raising the windshield bracket done to provide clearance between the top of the door frame & the horizontal bar? I'm not seeing much of a problem there. I'm having more of a problem with the vertical bar being hit by the door/window frame when I try to close the door.

On another note.....in the tech section article on soft top install it looks like the vertical bar is touching the back of the door opening, and on mine it is clearly not. I drilled at the prescribed location, I've triple checked my dimensions. Any ideas? Bend in the bottom of the rod?

Yes, you'll need to tweak the bends until the vert and horiz bars match up well with the door frame. That is what I was trying to say in my first post.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
Alright, I missed what you were referencing the first time around. It makes no mention of bending the rods in the instructions, so I assumed it was bolt on.....mount right up as is. I guess I'll get to bending/tweaking.

Is the bend at the bottom of the vertical rod supposed to be there? Should the vertical rod be that long at the bottom? Reason I ask is I looked at another set of older rods for a regular fast track(non zip out windows), and the bottom of the vertical rod is not bent and it is MUCH shorter than mine. It also has velcro where it wraps in the windows vs. the track on the inside like mine has.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
Agree. You just need to keep adjusting it until it fits right. Hardest part is getting the door frame to seal good. Don't be afraid to bend the STC framework a bit around the door and th part that attaches to the front bow.

What did you use to bend the framework? Seems like once it's bent incorrectly, you are done!

I think I need more of an angle on the bottom of the vertical bar to get it to pull back from the door frame??? The round rod there is solid, and I'm not sure what will bend it, and bend it at the correct spot.

How much of the rubber foam gasketing that is on the window framework should be showing with the door closed?

Should I see 1/2 of it to make the doors close, and the side windows still fit good and tight? If it's too far from the door, it seems like it would make the top fit loosely.
Thanks for the guidance. I'm amazed this issue is not addressed in the instructions!?!?

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
For the first time in many years....my bronco has a full top on it. I recently installed the rest of the windows(2 sides, 1 rear), and there are a few things I'm not able to get right.

1) the rear corners of the top seem to be sagging and not forming out the corners very well. I'm thinking it's an adjustment thing, but I'm not sure which way to go. I might have to post pics to show what I'm talking about. Suggestions?

2) I installed the rear retaining bar on the tailgate at the correct location, per the instructions. With it installed there, the ends/corners of the rear window and the main top corners will not slip under the rear retaining bar. It is because the ends/corners have the edge trim folded over and stitched. That makes the very end a little thicker, and prevents it from fitting under the retaining bar. If I loosen the retaining bar screws, I can get one side in, but where the rear window meets the rear of the top, the two overlap and it's just too thick with all that doubled over material there. Suggestions?

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the new top, but I think it needs some tweaking, adjusting to get it to fit as well as the pic in the Wild Horses catalog that I've seen. Any top experts local that are good at adjusting?

HyeBronco

Hi, I just purchased a 1968 Bronco and it cam with this Specialty Top and the two bars in the front that connect to the windshield are missing. Anyone know if I can buy these parts anywhere? I'm not very handy and it is currently at a metal fab shop and the guys are trying to figure it out. I did print out the instruction sheet so I'm hoping it will help. Any ideas suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
Matt, see if these pics help at all..............The first pic is the bows in the locked position.
P1010069.jpg

P1010070.jpg

P1010071.jpg

P1010072.jpg

not sure this is correct...when i see these instructions...your 1st pic show the "unlocked pos."...that position is for laying the bars down. talking bout the forward most bow,,,not the rear with cam lock

Attachments

• STC top.JPG
    STC top.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 32

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
For the first time in many years....my bronco has a full top on it. I recently installed the rest of the windows(2 sides, 1 rear), and there are a few things I'm not able to get right.

1) the rear corners of the top seem to be sagging and not forming out the corners very well. I'm thinking it's an adjustment thing, but I'm not sure which way to go. I might have to post pics to show what I'm talking about. Suggestions?

2) I installed the rear retaining bar on the tailgate at the correct location, per the instructions. With it installed there, the ends/corners of the rear window and the main top corners will not slip under the rear retaining bar. It is because the ends/corners have the edge trim folded over and stitched. That makes the very end a little thicker, and prevents it from fitting under the retaining bar. If I loosen the retaining bar screws, I can get one side in, but where the rear window meets the rear of the top, the two overlap and it's just too thick with all that doubled over material there. Suggestions?

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the new top, but I think it needs some tweaking, adjusting to get it to fit as well as the pic in the Wild Horses catalog that I've seen. Any top experts local that are good at adjusting?

i have found the tailgate bar can make life hell when folding the corners and tucking them under on the tailgate bar.ive had to spread it open in order to fit the back window and the corners together...HTH