• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

fuel pressure problem

ERLYBRONCKILLER

Loc.
New Port Richey Fl.
I have been plagued with this fuel pressure problem since I bought my Bronco and would like some suggestions. I start my bronco and it has 7-8 psi at the carb. When I run it for about 10 min it startes droping to about 3 then eventually 0. I have a new edelbrock manual fuel pump. I though it may be the vent on the cap but removed cap and nothing. I rerouted all my fuel lines and wrapped them in insulation. I also put a phinalic spacer under the carb. I don't have a fan shroud though. I don't know if that is causing the engine to get to hot. My temp guage reads fine but I am not sure it is reading correct. I am going to remove the fan and put an electric fan a sensor on to see if that helps. If anyone has had this problem or thinks they know what it is please let me know.
Thanks,
Mike

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
There has been a few post on here about Edelbrock mech. fuel pumps. Numerous problems and so on. I would put in a stock fuel pump, to rule out having a faulty pump. Or temp in an electric one and bypass the mech. Start your diagnosis with the pump.

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
Not sure if this will help much, but I'd swap out the fuel filter while I'm at it just to eliminate any doubts, plus it's just a good idea. For some reason when I have a fuel issue that always is the first thing I check.

OP
OP
ERLYBRONCKILLER

ERLYBRONCKILLER

Loc.
New Port Richey Fl.
Not sure if this will help much, but I'd swap out the fuel filter while I'm at it just to eliminate any doubts, plus it's just a good idea. For some reason when I have a fuel issue that always is the first thing I check.

Done that and even tried running it with out one. Same problem.

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
If you shut it down after your pressure drops, and start it back up, are you back to normal pressure, or is is still really low?

70_Steve

Old Guy
I have seen fuel line collapse inside and block fuel flow, while looking OK on the outside. Check and/or replace all flexable fuel line.

OP
OP
ERLYBRONCKILLER

ERLYBRONCKILLER

Loc.
New Port Richey Fl.
The pressur is still low after start up again. I haven't though about the fuel line collapsing. I can't remember but I think I replaced most of the rubber lines but I will double check. I think I am going to get an electric pump and bypass the manual and see how that does.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
There has been a few post on here about Edelbrock mech. fuel pumps. Numerous problems and so on. I would put in a stock fuel pump, to rule out having a faulty pump. Or temp in an electric one and bypass the mech. Start your diagnosis with the pump.

I agree before you dump a whole lot of money and agrivation for a electric fuel pump, or a electric fan get rid of the edelbrook fuel pump, and get one of these

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...908331+4294840126+4294891547+115&autoview=sku

You don't have to get it from summit, as pretty much any local place will be able to get one for you.

I have run Holley and Eldelbrock mechanical fuel pumps, and the carters just work better